How do I get my husband to quit smoking with me? -

Thursday, April 14, 2005

How do I get my husband to quit smoking with me? -


I had my last ciggarette over 24 hours ago, Cold turkey. He tries nicotine replacement therapy and he always goes back to smoking. I tried using replacment nicotine also in the past and always went back to smoking. He even tried Chantix before. I want to help him but he keeps on smoking. We have a 3 year old to think of. Please help!
You did not have a cigarette for 24 hours.
Congratulations.
When you have not had one for 24 months, THEN you have given up smoking.

How did you use the replacement nicotine? and did you (and does he) expect that to do the whole job?

What you need to do is
1) get 24 hour patches, not 16 hours ones
2) get the strongest (21 mg) regardless of what strength cigarette you used to smoke
3) IGNORE where the pack says to not smoke while using them. Continue smoking if you want, but of course TRY to smoke less
The patches will flood the brain receptors with nicotine highs continuously, getting rid of the peaks and valleys which create the cravings. You will reduce the amount of this later.

Then work on the HABIT part of the smoking
1) make, and keep to, rules about where you will smoke - make yourself go outdoors, OR stop the car instead of lighting up while driving, OR sit on a particular chair and do nothing else while smoking.
2) observe when you -want- one or reach for one without thinking - answering phone? getting home with shopping? other -reward- times for finishing a job? give yourself some other rewards instead, eg sweets, make a hot drink etc. This also helps keep your hands busy.
3) use nicotine chewing gum AS WELL, to use when you-d normally reach for a smoke.
4) with cigarettes and gum both, keep them in one spot only, to force you to get up and go there to get one, and avoid the -lighting without noticing- habit.

Combining these, in 2 weeks you should be down to about 8 a day, painlessly. Then it is possible to see you WILL be able to do it, so it is easier to make the decision to REALLY do it.

After about 4 weeks you can reduce the patch strength. By then you can stop buying cigarettes, and reduce yourself to begging other people for one, which also helps you quit!

This worked for me after 46 years of puffing up to 60 a day, at my first attempt to stop.
He has to really want to or it will all be for nothing. I know from personal experience. I like smoking and so does my wife. Under constant bother, pressure and propaganda from everyone we quit for 3 months one time. We each gained about 45 LBS. We could taste and smell again-it was horrible!
We ended up moving to Nevada and got some peace at last.
Try hypnosis, I hear it works for some people where nothing else works at all.


BTW I am 55 and when I was little EVERYONE smoked EVERYWHERE all the time and Nothing happened to me.They could smoke in the stores, banks, on the job, in offices, on busses and in aircraft-and NOTHING! There were no seatbelts or airbags either.I-m still here!
Well..... he really has to want to quit smoking, otherwise, any smoking aids he uses will not work. I used Zyban (pill form) and the patch and it was so easy to quit, it was amazing for me. I never ever thought it would be that easy... Zyban works on your mind and creates an easy sense of NOT wanting to smoke, while the patch looks after the nicotine cravings. Best of luck to you both !!
Congratulations. You can by convincing him that your three year old will get more sick if he continues to smoke in the house or upwind of your child. Call the American Lung Assoc. or ASH. They can direct you to the right people.
Tell him my dad almost died from continuing to smoke and ending up stuck in hospital for 4 weeks. He now has a permanent condition called emphysema which is really horrible and has almost no treatment. Also tell him emphysema is very common in long term smokers and will NEVER GET BETTER.
Also tell him it has affected me, my dads child, as now I-m particularly prone to bad chest infections which are ruining my life.
Do not waste your time on your husband. The only people who give up are the people who want to give up genuinely. I gave up twice before for 6mts at a time. In a way, I always thought I would start again. This time I know I will never smoke again because I have a genuine reason why I dont want to smoke.
No sex
chinese doctors are really good with that stuff
sex twice a day lmao
How do I get my husband to quit smoking with me? -