How long does it take for your lungs to clear out so to speak after you quit smoking? -

Thursday, April 7, 2005

How long does it take for your lungs to clear out so to speak after you quit smoking? -


I-ve heard some pretty crazy answers, and i-m sure it varies for alot of people. A few details to help out: I started smoking when I was 16. I-m almost 23. I smoked about half a pack a day, sometimes more when drinking.
I smoked from the time I was 11 to about the age of 37....I quit a week before my birthday in 97 and am still feeling like it isn-t quite out of my system yet.....I think it depends on your lung capacity and other things, (like where you live), to determine the time frame.
i don-t think they clear out
You have immediate benefits the moment you stop. Within the first few days, your body will begin to adjust to the decrease of tars and nicotines into your system. Your lungs and heart will begin to function much more normally and efficiently. If you start an exercise program, this speed up the healing process. If you can go one year and have had an exercise program that stresses aerobic conditioning; then you will removed most of the detrimental effects of smoking. If you quit for 10 years, then life expectancy tables will reflect that it will be like you have never smoked. However, for self-satisfaction, quit immediately, start walking, then jogging and then running. If you can sustain a 6 - 8 mile per hour rate for 30 minutes after a few months of conditioning, you-ll be doing great.
I quit smoking a week ago and am now hacking up alot of black tar looking flem.
okay i read at the doctors office that you otamatically start getting better after 1 hour but it takes 2-10 years to completely clear your lungs out
I can email you an awesome chart, that I found when I was in the CMA program at the community college. Please message me if you are at all interested.
you feel better within 24-48 hrs but it takes a long time to get out of your system however long it takes good for you for quitting keep it up
just saw program about smoking they said within 2-3 weeks the lungs start to clear themselves this means a lot of heavy coughing with sore throat being a problem for some people but its worth the effort so stick with it
I have often heard from various people and from two of my doctors that it takes about five years. I do not know where this information came from and never did ask.

I have also read that over a seven year period you change out every cell in your body!! So I have held with the five years.

Also, I was at one time a 3-pack a day smoker. It has been over five but less than seven years since I finished smoking . My x-rays are clear. So I hold with about five years as a minimum

So you can clear out your lungs in the time it would take you to pay off a new car! Go for it.

I started at 21 and went for 30 plus years. What a waste of time and money. It still probably cut some years off my life, because other things can be affected besides the lungs.
Changes begin to occur within 10 hours.

I-ve heard 5-10 years, and your lungs will look close to their original state.
How long does it take for your lungs to clear out so to speak after you quit smoking? -