How did you QUIT SMOKING????? patces, gum, or maybe something else? -

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How did you QUIT SMOKING????? patces, gum, or maybe something else? -


I so want to quit smoking, but i-m not strong enough. I have to small kids, and i want to do it for them, and for my health.
I don-t think i can do it without help, like patch or gum.
What helped you? How did you do it? I don-t think cold turkey is for me(i wish)...
Thanks.
Perhaps a web search for -quit smoking- + -natural ways- might be useful.
My doctor gave me a prescription of Wellbutrin, it is an anti depressant. It doesn-t help with the nicotine withdrawals, but it helps you keep a positive frame of mind, so you can maintain the willpower to continue.

It was 1 month yesterday since I had a cigarette. I just didn-t give myself the option of not succeeding. When the cravings got so bad I didn-t think of it as a cigarette will make this feeling go away, I thought of it as time will make this feeling go away. If I can just stay strong, it will go away and I will feel better. Smoking is not an option!!!!!
Call the Seven Hundreth Club and pray with them. My mom did it and hasn-t smoked in 33 years. Just believe you are healed and it will be done and everytime you need a smoke believe you are healed from your addition and never give up.
Natailya, I have helped many people quit smoking and the first thing you should do is stop panicking yourself about how bad nicotine withdrawal is. Most people do go through a bit of initial irritability and edginess-but so what? If you are tough enough to take care of small kids you can handle a few days of tension. Exercise and deep breathing can help relieve that stress and help prevent unwanted weight gain. The most important thing is just decide to quit and keep telling yourself it is worth any temporary-your health and happiness are worth at least that much. Good luck to you!
I know a few people who simply ate oranges when they needed a fix.
They said it actually works quite well.
I had a friend who smoked two packs of menthols a day... he had AMAZING success with Chantix... I-ve heard it doesn-t work for everyone... but he didn-t even want to smoke after a week. My father also had success with it. I think it costs around $130 or $150... worth a shot, I-d say! Good luck!!!
Cold turkey! You have to want to do it. I tried patches and nicotine substitutes. They didn-t work for me. There as a new drug out that is supposed to bind to the nicotine receptor site.
I don-t remember what it is called, but it is being currently advertised on television and in magazines.
When you quit, you will need to clear away anything that you associate with smoking. Remember that when you get a craving, it goes away in a few minutes. Drink lots of water (nicotine leaves your system in about three days).
You will probably feel edgy for a few days, but this is the time to distract yourself by doing different things than you would be doing if you were smoking. If you feel the need to eat as a replacement, keep some raw or steamed veggies around to snack on. Most people have a tendency to gain weight because of indiscriminate eating.
I quit smoking in June of this year, actually lost weight rather than gaining, and I feel great.

Best of luck to you!
will power. i did it for my son. I just looked at his picture every time i wanted a smoke, and though, you deserve a healthy mommy. worked like a charm.
My husband and I set a target date to quit, and we both worked our selves up to it, thinking about all the nasties of smoking, smell , breath, dirty ash trays, yuk. We used the patch for the first week, but not after that, buy we had each others support. I smoked for 27 years and its been 8 years since we quit. Hope it helps
I made it for three months on the patch, not nearly long enough. I have heard good things about that new one...Chantix. I know a guy who was a heavy smoker and he has not smoked for a month now and has no desire to. Plus my mom-s boss has not smoked in over a year now which is a huge milestone, she quit with the Chantix too! I-m going to ask my DR. about a prescription! Good Luck, Those kids are great motivators aren-t they?
Don-t cop out with - I-m not strong enough-. Just do not put a cigarette in your mouth. Nobody is forcibly moving your arm and hand.
i quit cold turkey for my kids...just think how healthy you will feel. its better to suffer with quitting than to pay for it later in life...my uncle was diagnosed with cancer strictly caused from smoking...don-t just do it for your kids do it for yourself too!!!
How did you QUIT SMOKING????? patces, gum, or maybe something else? -