Any wisdom amp; verbal support on helping me to quit smoking today? -

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Any wisdom amp; verbal support on helping me to quit smoking today? -


I have decide to quit smoking today. I have smoked a total of 25 years out of my 54 years on this planet. I once quit for 9 years and then started again. I smoke 1 to 1.5 packs a day. I am in good health, but know that smoking is ruining my health. Any experience, strenght and wisdom from x smokers would be helpful.
Big Ed, Look at the people carrying those oxygen machines with them wherever they go, with the oxygen tubes in their noses and ask yourself if you EVER really want to live like that....Also, there are others who have to live with tracheotomies and use the vibrating instrument to even speak....do you want to live like that? When my uncle died of lung cancer from smoking, he literally was spitting up bits of his lungs. I seriously suggest looking at pics from web sites of actual smokers- lungs. The reality will grab you....it did me and this is how I quit. Bless you in your efforts. You did it once you can do it again!!! It took me three tries but, all I have to do is bring up those images to mind and I can say NO.
I JUST quit and there is NO easy way. I quit on ash Wednesday, for lent. It has been hard but it made me feel so good when my Grand-daughter told me Grandma you dont stink anymore,and i noticed how much people who smoke STINK, and i feel so much better.I went cold turkey , and i am around smokers for a good portion of the day and it is very hard, and my mouth waters when i smell itBUT i make myself strong and think....eeeewwww they are STINKY!...lol, sorry but i know this isnt helping you *maybe* but nothing about quitting is easy. I can breathe lots better and sleep lots better, and dont get up with a ashy tasting mouth in the morning, no coughing...etc...etc. I am a better person, and i LOVE life to much to kill it...slowly, especially my own.
I just recently spent time helping my sister take care of her husband who was dying from cancer due to smoking. He like you averaged smoking that same amount. He actually was diagnosed with it last year at this time. We buried him Dec 2, he died Nov 27. He left behind a 12 year old son and a 14 year old son. Along with my sister.
I loved the man like a brother. We had many fun times together as families up at Stike, sturgeon fishing and camping. There is a BIG hole in our family now along with an ache in our hearts. He was only 58.

The night before he died, it was the Thanksgiving Holiday so Hospice was not prepared to deal with certain issues that we were faced with. Unfortunatly the patches for pain were not working. He had not been very coherant that day and by the night was not doing great. Well we knew that if we didn-t get some pain pills in him the pain was going to make the situation worse so she said that she would let him smoke a cigerette right there in the bed. Mind you he smoked till the very end but that day he hadn-t. So he said, -Let-s do it- meaning take the pain pills so he could have a smoke. We helped him to sit up and spent the next 10 min. trying to get enough spit and water in his mouth in order for him to be able to swallow them. I was so scared that we were going to choke him to death from the pills. Once finished she got a cig. for him and lit it and stuck it in his mouth so he could have it, but what she had done was break it off so there wasn-t even a half of one. Anyway when he went to take it out of his mouth he realized what she had done and said, -YOU PIECE OF ****(crap), GIVE ME A WHOLE ONE!- he proceeded to let her know it was his last and she-d better give him what he wanted. It was funny in away as we laughed because he had almost burn his fingers, he didn-t even finish it but he had to have a whole one. Those were his last words by the way. He layed back down after that, the next morning I knew he was close because he had soiled himself and was no longer coherent. That night surrounded by his wife and boys he passed on to the other side. It was a valient fight but the cancer just wouldn-t give the fight up. The devistation to my sister and her boys has been very hard. I am sure that you have loved ones that would be devistated by you loss. I don-t know how to tell you to go about stopping, I don-t understand nor have experienced that addiction, so I can-t help you there. What I can tell you is that had he not of been a smoker the doctors and people might of treated him alittle better. They misdiagnoised the cancer as phynophia for over a year when in fact had they of taken the time to really check him out they would of realized that it was in deed cancer.
The sooner you stop the better your chances are for avoiding this diesease. I wish you the best and hope that you are able to conquer your addiction.
i knew a lot of stubborn smokers who were in the death bed and said why was i so stubborn i wish i didn-t smoke
i guess scare tatic doesn-t work well otherwise everyone would quit
the easiest way is to remember you control your body and mind not the cigarette company who has been stealing all your hard earned money selling you a product which is highly addictive
if you want to stop smoking throw all your cigarettes in the garbage don-t buy anymore i am making it sound easy i know it is tough take control of yourself and quit
good luck even know luck has nothing to do with it
it is all you i don-t even know you but i know you can do it
once u put your mind to it, quitting should be easy. you can pray for extra support.
This method works for me and is the only money back guaranteed.
I quite smoking 2 years ago


Get the Facts
Easyway, founded by Allen Carr in 1983, has the highest independently verified 12-month success rate (75.8% for a smoker completing the program) of any quit smoking technique and a 90% satisfaction rating.

Compare Easyway to other methods and see for yourself why Easyway is called “The Cadillac of quit smoking methods.”

The Allen Carr Method
HOW THE METHOD WORKS

Using psychotherapy, the method works in the opposite way to the “willpower” method. It does not concentrate on the reasons the smoker should not smoke : the money, the slavery, the health risks and the stigma. Smokers know all that already. Instead it focuses on why smokers continue to smoke in spite of the obvious disadvantages.

It is fear that keeps smokers hooked!

Fear the smoker will have to give up their pleasure or crutch. Fear the smoker will be unable to enjoy life or handle stress. Fear the smoker will have to go through an awful trauma to get free. Fear the smoker will never get completely free from the craving.

The Method removes these fears
Smokers quit with the Allen Carr Method as happy non-smokers, not feeling deprived but with a huge sense of relief and elation that they have finally achieved what they always wanted….

TO BE FREE!

What about the terrible withdrawal pangs from nicotine?

The physical withdrawal from nicotine is so slight that most smokers don’t realise that they are addicts. What smokers suffer when they try and quit using other methods is the misery and depression caused by the belief that they are being deprived of a pleasure or a crutch.

The Allen Carr Method removes this feeling of deprivation.
It removes the need and desire to smoke. Once the smoker is in the right frame of mind and they follow the simple instructions, the physical withdrawal from nicotine is hardly noticeable.

No Gimmicks!

The Method does not use any gimmicks, useless aids or substitutes. No nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, tabs, inhilators or nasal sprays! No needles! No lasers! No drugs! No herbs! No shock treatment!

The Allen Carr Method is successful because:

It removes the smokers’ conflict of will.
There are no bad withdrawal pangs.
It is instantaneous and easy.
It is equally effective for long-term heavy smokers and light smokers.
You need not gain weight.
You will not miss smoking.

Medical Endorsements

A personal view from Professor Judith Mackay MBE, JP, FRCO (Edin), FRCP (Lon), World Health Organisation Advisory Panel on Tobacco and Health

“I have no hesitation in supporting Allen Carr’s work. Many clinics use some of his techniques but it would appear that few do it in quite such a successful package.”

Carole Johnson, Coronary Heart Disease Prevention Unit, Tyne Tees

“his success rate was such that, when budgets allow, we continue to use Easyway for work with specific groups and individuals.”

Dr Anil Visa BSc, MBBch., FRCA, Consultant – Royal Hospitals NHS Trust – Royal London Hospital

“I have observed the Allen Carr method at first hand and have found it to be very successful and I wholeheartedly support it as an effective way to quit smoking.”

Dr William Green, Head of Psychiatric Dept, Matilda Hospital, Hong Kong

“It is a remarkable fact that Allen Carr, on his own admission a non-professional in behaviour modification, should have succeeded where countless psychologists and psychiatrists holding postgraduate qualifications have failed, in formulating a simple and effective way to stop smoking.”

Dr Martin Jarvis, Principle Scientist, Imperial Cancer Research
Fund and Reader in Health Psychology, University College London

”...I am more than happy to testify to Allen Carr’s enduring involvement and to recognise the value of the kind of behavioural and cognitive support he provides.”

Dr PM Bray MB CH.b., MRCGP

“I was really impressed by the method. In spite of the Allen Carr organisation’s success and fame, there were no gimmicks and the professional approach was something a GP could readily respect. I would be happy to give a medical endorsement of the method to anyone.”

Celebrity Endorsements

-His method is absolutely unique, removing the dependence on cigarettes, while you are actually smoking. I’m pleased to say it has worked for many of my friends and staff.”
Sir Richard Branson

“Some friends of mine who had stopped using Allen Carr’s method suggested I tried it. I did. It was such a revelation that instantly I was freed from my addiction. Like those friends of mine, I found it not only easy but unbelievably enjoyable to stay stopped.”
Sir Anthony Hopkins

GOOD LUCK!
think of the nice car the money could buy in a few years
Thnik that if you don-t quit smoking, you-ll die sooner!
I-m not a smoker or even an ex-smoker, but I know your health insurance will go down. It-s also nice that when you don-t smoke, you won-t get stuck with high prices and tax for those packs.
well i quit 3 times, once at 17 for about 2 months and then the weakness came back, too young to stop it, then with my first pregnancy i quit for 18 months and then with the second child i quit for 18 months, sorry to say but i am still smoking, however, i plan on quitting in August 2008, my oldest will be 7 then and i told her i would quit for her b-day, the reason i feel i can do it at that time is b/c both of my children will be in school and my stress level will be down and i plan on starting my career in real estate and i DO NOT want to smell like a cigarette in that career and i want the career more than the cigarette and that will keep my time occupied and busy, it will be much easier to quit than now while i stay at home and pull my hair out everyday with kids. So try the patches they do work, that-s how i quit at 17 though too weak then, but i do think they can help you, especially since you are going to try and want to try, no it-s never easy to quit and stay that way, but for 9 years you quit that is real good, try to remember back at that time and recall no coughing and easier breathing, focus on all the bad of smoking and all the good of not and GOOD LUCK
Remember that a craving only lasts about 5-15 minutes so when you have that craving drink a bottle of water, brush your teeth, practice breathing exercises, think about your lungs clearing, say a prayer, call a friend, make yourself busy or just push through it. For the next week keep yourself busy doing things where you wouldn-t be able to smoke anyway. If you have been smoking as long as you say you probably have a lot of routines where you smoke without thinking about it. i.e. If you go outside in the morning for a smoke go outside but drink a cup of coffee or pull some weeds. After you eat a meal instead of smoking brush your teeth. When you are driving drink a bottle of water or keep some twizzlers or red vines around. Red vines are great because they are kind of hard and have a hole through the middle like a straw so you can suck on them or even hold one like a cigarette. A friend of mine used actual straws just to staisfy the oral fixation. You could also try munching on carrots or celery sticks. Also, if you don-t already, start an exercise routine. Switch your focus from smoking to making yourself healthy and strong. After the first week it will get easier. After 28 days it will be completely out of your system and then you just have to deal with the mental addiciton. That will get easier and easier as you realize how much better you feel. You will sleep better, wake up without a nasty cough, not feel like you have to miss out on certain things because you are afraid you won-t be able to smoke, you will have more energy, smell better and look better. I think one of the hardest parts is feeling like you won-t be the same person if you don-t smoke. You will be the same person though - just healthier. Good Luck!!!
first of all GET PATCHES! they really help, when you feel like lighting up go for a run or some other exercise and keep your exercise gear in a handy place so youre ready to go, if youve got a printer then get some pics off the net of smoking related autopsies, its a bit grim but it focuses your mind, throw away all your old packets, lighters, any related paraphernalia and finally, dont drink or go out for a week, find something else to do like some diy or housework, after a week you should be over the worst of it, good luck
Chew gum. Blow Pops are the best. and pray. when today is over you have increased your life by 10 years. what are you gonna do ? have a new career ? go to school? go on a trip around the world!!! yes definately go on the trip. Good Luck. I will keep you in my prayers.
You have lived a good and healthy life so far.

You may live till 90 in a healthy shape, you are you reducing it ot 70 only?

quit smoking.
Use my dog poo method, every Time you get the urge visualise the end dipped in dog poo and imagine the smell as it gets closer and closer. It worked for me.
I-ll tell you what gives me strength to keep away from it. Firstly, it-s about pride and willpower. I want to prove to myself and my friends (and girls i might like!), everyone basically, that i can do it. I use these relationships to keep myself from smoking. They will think nothing less of you if you go back to it, but just say to yourself that u must prove to them you can do it.

More important is probably proving it to yourself. But this is more tricky, because the mind, being cunning and incredibly smart, will come up with numerous excuses and lies to avoid you seeing yourself as being a failure.

Then...well, think about it. Look at it! You are being controlled by this little piece of paper, wrapped around some tobacco. Your whole body, the whole of you, body and soul, your whole world (existensialism) is at the mercy of this little bastard, that little ****. THAT IS JUST SAD, and really scary! So, i think of it that way, get angry, and try and use that to give up.

What else? You smell better, you can run faster, and for longer (away from danger, the law, or towards the woman of your life!! whatever works for you!), you can have sex for longer, your knob will grow longer and thicker, you will be able to do more things each day, since you will have more energy, and all your friends will not have to see you in hospital chocking in your own fluids in years to come...

Just some of the things i think about, to remain a quitter!
I think you know all of these things already, you just want to hear them from someone else. As we all do.
I help people with this a lot. Seek out an Acupuncturist who does Auricular therapy for Addiction Control. It works 70-80% of the time. Also get Lobelia Tincutre from a health food store. It is a natural alternative to nicotine gums that works great in helping to curb the cravings.
Quiting smoking is tough but try substitute the craving with something healthy like fruit or drinking a glass of water.
or just try go cold turkey!

itl be hard but worth it!
Think that smoking is like licking a full ashtray. I have smoked 12 years out of my 26 years 1 pack a day. I quit one morning when i realised that my breath smelled like my full ashtray on my desk or worse. Nicotine patches helped a lot. I had fights with everybody around me, but they were supportive and now I-m happier than ever. Plus I save money for summer vacations on Mykonos.
Dear friend, I was a heavy smoker for about 7 years but once I found myself in a very bad mood. I was embarrassed all time because of the smoke smell and my mouth was always smelly. I decided to quit and I did it about 2 month ago. at first it was very hard to control myself but after a week or two it was not that hard. in that first period I used tranquilizers whenever temptation wanted to kill me. but now I am very pleased and its very exciting that I can run without asthma. I know you can make it, good luck.
Any wisdom amp; verbal support on helping me to quit smoking today? -