What has been your experience quitting smoking with Chantix? -

Thursday, November 15, 2007

What has been your experience quitting smoking with Chantix? -


I am quitting smoking very soon and I was thinking about Chantix, I-ve heard some good things. Did it help you quit? How are the side effects? Thanks :)
Chantix is an excellent drug for people really committed to stop smoking. It has wonderful stats supporting its effectiveness. I know many people that have used it and it was a huge support for those that really did want to quit, not just take it because their doc or something told them they should.

There are a few things you should understand about the therapy. First, it is a minimum of 3 months of treatment. This is the standard. If you discontinue taking the medication prior to that, your success rate falls. Also, there have been continued studies that suggest that taking the medication an additional three months improves the success rate. (total of 6 months) But I must disclose that the results at the end of one year are the same for people regardless of if they took 3 months or 6 months (1 in 4 are still smoke free). Lastly, be sure to set a quit date. It will usually be 1 wk after starting the drug. Don-t keep smoking while on the medicine just waiting for your body not to want one.

The most common side effect is upset stomach. It is recommended that you take Chantix with food.

There is also a stop smoking support program that is offered by the makers of Chantix. Instead of offering the medication free, they put the money into this program to encourage those that are interested in discontinuing the habit. It is called Get Quit. I have included a link below for more information.

Best of luck in your endeavour!!!
Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking.
I-ve just started, feel free to take a look at my progress and come back to read how it goes: http://www.squidoo.com/chantixtoquitsmoking
Thanks,
M


Report Abuse



I don-t have any personal experience with the drug but thought that I-d read that a side effect included seizures.

For a free 12-step support group:
http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org


The local hospital may offer a smoking cessation program that includes group counseling and keeping a journal of feelings associated with smoking. Some health insurances will partially or fully pay.
I do not have a any personal experience with Chantix for one simple reason. I wouldn-t go anywhere near the stuff. I have heard so many horror stories that I can not believe that people would even suggest it as an option.

Check out this link for some such horror stories

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/comment…


Chantix has many side effects. These include nausea (30%), sleep problems (insomnia, nightmares, strange - vivid dreams), constipation, gas and vomiting.

Because Chantix works on the brain there are many cases where people who take the drugs report strange behavioral changes. People have known to become depressed, agitated, aggressive, angry and even suicidal. Some have taken their own life or have died as a result of behavioural changes due to taking Chantix.

Smoking is more of a psychological addiction than a physical one. If you really want to quit you must discover the reasons why you smoke and then eliminate or change these thought processes. As soon as I dealt with my psychological reasons for smoking I quit, first time and more importantly for good.

Once you deal with the psychological side of smoking it makes the quitting process easy, no matter your level of addiction.

Visit our site to join our inspirational 12 day e-course. You can also download our free book -36 Powerful Superfoods- to help fight weight gain and start mending damage caused by smoking. For more information and to post your opinion about the products you have tried, visit the following website.

Good Luck and Good Quitting
I haven-t taken it myself, but I know several people who have. Two people were able to quit for awhile, but started up again later. I also know someone who committed suicide from this drug. Be careful.
What has been your experience quitting smoking with Chantix? -