How long after you quit smoking...? -

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How long after you quit smoking...? -


does it take before you can stop constantly thinking about lovely fags?
The rest of your life...+1 day.

Someone once said that giving up smoking was easy, but giving up 20 pleasures a day was damned difficult.
Nicotine is far more addictive than heroin, and as such, the craving for it will stay with you a long time because the connections your brain formed to -accept- the nicotine. The second part of that is the muscle memory: your body has gotten used to smoking so much that it has become a routine that has become deeply ingrained. Simply, it feels weird not smoking, not holding a cigarette, not lighting one, and even reaching for one. Next is the psychological effects. You became used to smoking after something - a bad day, a good meal, sex, or even while taking a walk or driving.
All of that comes into play when we talk about thinking about wanting a cigarette, but it-s like everything else. Eventually, you will stop thinking about it every minute, then hour, day, week, and month. Keep yourself distracted. Find a healthy alternative - because replacing one addiction with another is common when quitting an addiction AND find a way to supplement it with something else. If you smoked when you drove, try toothpicks, chewing gum or something.
When quitting smoking, most people recommend a substitute - like the patch or the gum - which you use to slow down while you work on the psychological and the cravings. Just find a way also to make smoking repulsive or a strong reason to stay quit and it may help with the cravings.
The amount of time it takes you to stop thinking about cigarettes depends on a few things; how long you-ve been smoking, how many people around you smoke and how often you are reminded about smoking. Stop buying smokes, view as nasty and disgusting and be convinced of that, avoid the people around who smoke when they are smoking or soon after they smoked and have a small motivational phrase that keeps you on point. No one has to know of what measures you take to better your life so don-t worry about embarrassment or feeling silly for any methods you employ to help you kick the nic-.
...and as previously mentioned, they are not lovely.
This a one of the things,that is in possible to answer.The thing that
made you smoke in the first place is also very hard to think about.But the thing you have to think about is why,why do you now wish to end the thing that you did out of nothing more than a habit, a compulsion
a longing that it will put all your problems right.
If it-s for the money you will save you will not make it.You will always get some money,but you must have good reason to quit the fag.So you will, one day you will start to cough,when you get up every morning you will cough and cough until you-ve had that first fag.
Now you see what the fag is doing to your live and you wont to quit for your healths sake,and this will stop you ever again from smoking and smell of the fag becomes unbearable.
Now if it is that you wish to ignore the signs and play Russian
roulette with your live then keep on smoking ,but be sure as the sun rises every morning smoking will one day KILL YOU.
I relies the question was how long be for you loose the craving
and my answer to that is how Much do you wish to live.And do you wish to have a as nice a death as possible or as most that have the big C die in pain and just full to bits.
Hi Anne B

When it starts to smell horrible, hang in there I am on the start of my third year. Don-t think of missing them but think of how well you have done.

I smoked for 30 years and to make it harder for me my girlfriend smokes. I do feel healthyer and proud of myself. I ain-t good at many things and yes people you know are better at things than, but have they packed up smoking, you have.

Every time I feel like a fag, I think of the only one promise I have made my kids and that is to stop smoking. I hav-nt had one at all.

I also think of the most worse things You ever could think of connected with smoking, like people dieing of lung cancer, horrible it may seem but helps. i don-t want to go like that I want to live long enough to see my kids married and to have hopfully a grandchild or 2

don-t torture yourself by thinking of them. Move on and feel proud to say to people that you don-t smoke. They all envy you.

Answer to you r question 2 days.

Having a cigertte is a threat, so don-t have one or you only regret

I do hope that I have helped you a little.

Hollow head
They are not lovely, they are cancer tubes . As well as causing a whole host of health problems that can disable or kill people off before they should go , they make you stink, damage gums, rot teeth.
Ontop of all that , they rob you of money you should be spending on something else .
Or, like me , you can convince yourself that its a dirty old habit that belonged in the 20th century , when , for some mysterious reason, it was considered - glamorous- !
LOL, well first you have to stop thinking about them as being lovely! Takes a while but if you really want to give up you-ll manage it. Every Day gets easier and the cravings get further apart. I gave upo almost five years ago and still fancy a ciggy every now and then... the thought of putting one to my mouth makes me feel physically sick now though.
I don-t know too much about quiting smoking (because I-m a dirty smoker with no willpower). Don-t think about them. Imagine drinking out of a can that someone had put their ciggie out in. I did that the other day - I nearly chundered everywhere. You don-t want to do that. My housemate has been off the ciggies for 11 weeks now. It must be tough, but if you give in I-ll come round and smash your face in.
Just keep going. You can do it. CMON!
This is probably not the answer you-ll want to hear, but...

My wife has quit several times (and gone back each time) and the cravings never really seem to go away.

My parents- neighbour quit about 10-12 years ago. She still says she could kill for one sometimes. She has actually stayed off them though.

If you have quit, good luck with your efforts. Over time it will be worth it (plus you-ll be a better kisser lol - at least, that-s the reason I give my wife ;) ). If not... now-s as good a time as any!
It depends on how long you smoked in the first place. If you smoked for many years then you will never get over it completely because you will have cause a deformity in the equilibrium of brain chemistry. Go on a course and use supplements.
I did it cold turkey. a week later, i was cured and never looked back. a month later, my taste buds and sense of smell came back. From that time on, I was repulsed by the smell of cigarette smoke and cigarette smokers.
gradually lessens , the urge .. Possibly never , completely . but after a year you don-t really bother at all about them . Nothing lovely about them either
took me about a year before i stopped thinking about them.
How long after you quit smoking...? -