Is Nicorette gum the best substitute to quit smoking, harmful to health in long run? -

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Is Nicorette gum the best substitute to quit smoking, harmful to health in long run? -


I had quit smoking for already 2 years but replaced with nicorette gum 4mg once or twice a day. How does nicotine in nicorette gum affect the health. Is it advisable to stop nd it-s difficult as i m used to it.If yes, i need to find another better alternative to now quit taking nicorette gum.ANY valuable suggestion in health point of view?
The nicotine itself has minimal long term adverse consequences beyond the addiction.

I have a doctor friend still chewing nicotine gum ten years after he quit smoking. Not too far off form the effects of long term caffeine use.

No cancer or hreat disease risk. Chew away.

There is a risk to your budget.

one way to wean off this would be to start chewing regular gum and have your doctor prescribe the nicotine nasal spary - this has a bitter taste in back of thraot , eyes water a little, but you get your nicotine fix.
People quickly wean their dose based on the discomfort - almost like aversion therapy.

Congratulations on quitting smoking - figuring out what to do with the gum addiction is small pickings!
I used Nicorette gum several years ago to quit smoking. It worked for me, and I no longer needed it after about a month. I have had friends, however, who used it to quit (basically under pressure from their relatives) who then became as addicted to the gum as they were to cigarettes (As you know, it, too, contains nicotine.). So I concluded that to quit smoking you have to be ready, then just about any aid will help you through it and be less harmful than the smoking habit itself.
NOOOOOOO.. buy stick Cinnamon and chew that instead.. seriously. But the BEST?.. COLD TURKEY.. been there done that..herbal tea will take the cranky edge of of it
the gum is actually more addictive than smoking
it causes cancer as well
as far as a replacement I-m not sure, maybe talk to a doctor or call the quit line for advice
I-ve been smoking over 40 years so I-m an expert at quitting and it-s the worst 6 hours of the day!
I am really glad you quit....Congratulations!
I agree with blackie, cold turkey is the best way to go but as for your question this may help
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/13/1685_53191.htm
good luck bro
Nicoderm CQ It really takes the craving away. I never had any side affects from it either
Ok dude, trust me, zyban or a cheaper alternative wellbutin. What the nicotine does is releases chemicals in the brain which act something like an anti-depressant. Zyban does the same thing - you will take it for about three weeks and then I guess you can ease off it. It definately works talk to your doctor he will tell you the same thing - the other alternative is to ease off the nicorette - try the 2 mg one - or take less and less everyday -
My boyfriend just quit smoking cigarettes and he has been smoking for over 10 years. He used the patches for a few months and now he doesn-t smoke anymore. I-ve heard that the gum can actually be really habit forming and you can become addicted. Maybe you should try the patches. There is also a prescription medication you can get, that I-ve heard works really well. It-s called bupropion (brand name is Wellbutrin). I hope this helps! Good luck!
Gross. I-m glad you quit smoking, but now you have to quit Nicorette! Try regular gum, and then try none at all. It-s all in your head, you stopped smoking for two years now and I doubt it-s b/c of Nicorette...
cool
Is Nicorette gum the best substitute to quit smoking, harmful to health in long run? -