I need some help on how to quit smoking!!!!? -

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I need some help on how to quit smoking!!!!? -


My husband and I are both smokers and we have decided to quit cold turkey. We decide that when the last pack is gone, we wont buy anymore. We are doing this together to make it a little easier. So I guess my question is What are somethings that my husband and I can do to make this a little easier. We want to make sure that we do this and we do this right. So I guess I would also just like to hear that others have been able to do it as well. Any help any advice would be nice thank you in advance.
You have a tough road ahead of you! My husband and I quit together over a year ago. He started smoking again 2 months into the quit. I remain smoke free. He quit again 6 weeks ago, and is doing fine right now.

There will be plenty of ups and downs, and the urge to smoke can be overwhelming at times. Even farther along in a quit can bring out -memories- of smoking. But it must be a lifelong choice to NOT smoke.

Take it one hour at a time. Choose to not smoke. The first week is hell. You are going through detox. ride it out and don-t give in! The 2nd week is tough too, but not as tough. By the 3rd week, it eases......

There is an awesome quit smoking site to help you. I would not have made it without it. It is Stop Smoking Center. Just add a dot net and you will find it.

Unfortunately, there is no magic pill. Just you. Take this opportunity to change you whole life. Don-t dwell on not smoking. Think of how great you will feel, and just remember this feeling you feel right now does go away........ I promise. Take one step at a time.
Cold Turkey is tough. I cut back every two days. Ex: 1 cig an hour for two days. Then 1 cig every hour and a half. (depending on how much you smoke to begin with) Until I was down to 1 cig a day. By then, you-ve got it made. I did that almost 8 years ago now and never had another cig, never cheated. Best thing I ever did for myself. By the way, I never thought I-d be able to quit ever, so it is possible.
don-t even wait for the end of the last pack. just crumble it up and through it away.
I quit cold turkey.... I just cut down a lot.. (would smoke everyone elses, instead of buying.) Then I guess I just thought I forgot about smoking.... Honestly, I thought I could never do it.. until my child came along.. I wanted to be a good role model... I used to smoke, quit when I was 3months pregnant, the started again when she was a year old, but I guess this time I didn-t smoke enough to get addicted, just bum them,lol... But yea, the last few times I tried to smoke, I got bad headaches from the smoke....So you can do it...You just need motivation, and never forget the reason WHY you want to quit... It-s not worth it!My mother had a heart attack,people get cancer.. Oh! Onemore thing! stay away from people that DO smoke! oTHERWISE,YOU WILLJUST GET ONE FROMTHEM LIKE i DID! yOU WILL HAVE CRAVINGS BEING AROUND IT TOO!!! gOOD LUCK!
Don-t be around smokers -- especially ones who know you are trying to quit. Exercise a lot and drink tons of water. Air your house so there is no smell of cigarette smoke to remind you of smoking. Put away all of the ashtrays and lighters. Figure out your cigarette budget and blow it on something else, week after week, for at least 3 months. Don-t save the money thinking you will buy something nice or whatever. Spend it every week just as you would buying cigarettes. DON-T give in to the craving that comes around 6 weeks after you have quit.
every time you feel that u want to smoke take a chewing-gum

and u have to decide that u will not smoke again .... and i hope that u will send 4 me that u r stopped already
What worked for me was making quiting part of a total lifestyle change.

I joined a gym, took up kung fu and started to watch what I ate. I was so busy and happy with my new life that I hardly missed smoking (was still hard though, the thing that got me through cravings was thinking of all my progress and that a craving only lasts for 15mins).

At the end of it all I lost 15kgs and got into the best shape of my life... Now it-s 4 years on and I-m slim, training to become a personal trainer and fast approaching my instructor level in Kung Fu... OH and still not smoking ;-)

Just stick to it and help each other through, and don-t let a small slip up get in the way, don-t use one drag or one smoke as an excuse to start again... You can do it ;-)
what can i do for u
i have a collegue that quits smoking cold turkey, - that-s more than 20 months ago, first he, decide on that very day he-ll quit, he cuts his intake by half, it-s difficult, after 11/2-2 weeks he cuts down by another 1/2 ins intake, after another week, he just smokes 1 stick for the whole day!! after 2 weeks he completely stops smoking, so to fill the void, he sucks on unsweeten strong mint drops, chew gums, whatever, to take his minds off on smoking! sometimes he cheats, he follows behind a smoker, the first few months are the most difficult, but he managed to kick the habit, now the craving is getting less intense, in a couple of months he-ll be off tobacco for 2 years, that-s determination - descipline!! hooray for his success!!
I need some help on how to quit smoking!!!!? -