Is it dangerous to quit smoking when pregnanttgt;? -

Friday, October 13, 2017

Is it dangerous to quit smoking when pregnanttgt;? -


I heard if you are a heavy smoker (20 a day) and you just stop when you find out you are pregnant, it can be harm full to your baby? They say your body is under s lot of stress when you quit,and you pass that stress onto you baby. Is it better to stop gradually?
no, you gotta stop all together now
It is probably not dangerous, but unnecessarily stressful. Just cut down gradually without stressing out. Even if you don-t manage to stop completely, don-t worry about it. A little smoking won-t hurt the baby - until 1990 or so, doctors didn-t insist that pregnant women quit. Even today, it is mostly panicky, highly judgmental women (see above answers) who INSIST on it.
BTW, a pack a day is not heavy smoking. That is moderate smoking at best. Heavy smoking is 2.5-3.5 packs a day.
Absolutely not. It-s the best thing you can do for your baby. You need to work out a -quitting plan- with your Dr. and do your best to stick to it.

Quitting is incredibly hard, but your little baby is the best motivator you-ll ever have.

Best of luck to you and your new little one.
Never heard of that kind of advice. I-ve always read and heard that any body who smokes pregnant or not increases their chances for improved health by stopping immediately-especially moms to be.
This is a old wives tale so stop smoking now its going to make you and your baby feel so much better,but keep in mind its not easy
Gradually probably won-t work. It won-t be any easier as time goes on, so just quit.
Nonsense.
It is stressful to the baby and the mother. Withdrawals are nothing to stick your nose up at... I-m 2 weeks quit and still having severe cravings and anxiety issues from not smoking. I quit cold turkey and have yet to slip, but I was told by an ob/gyn to wait until I was past the dangerous stage where I could miscarry before quitting. He told me to cut down as much as possible until my second trimester and to offset my tobacco intake with vitamin C tablets. Nicotine depletes your calcium and Vitamin C reserves (which is why so many of us smokers get sick so often), so about 500mg/day and a decrease in the frequency of your tobacco usage should help, if you-re not immediately ready to quit. Keep in mind that you CAN NOT use Nicotine Replacement Therapy (Patches, Gum, Inhalers, etc.) whilst pregnant; the nicotine is delivered in concentrated doses through these products and can harm your baby more than the small dose of nicotine from a cigarette that it-s currently already used to.

Ultimately, the choice to quit has to be completely yours. You have to do it for you and your baby. This is not a guilt trip, but simply something from someone who has recently/is currently going through it. I tried 3 times and failed 3 times, because I was doing it for my doctor, my husband, peer pressure. I ENJOYED smoking and was not ready to quit. I went two days on a quit and rebounded. I quit again at the end of the week for me: I couldn-t breathe after having a cigarette. The two days of no nicotine, combined with pregnancy-onset asthma, showed my lungs what it was like without cigarette smoke in them and made it difficult for me to enjoy cigarettes any more.

End result: If it-s for anyone other than yourself... if you-re doing it to make someone else happy, or simply to try to shut people up who seem to be in your business about your smoking habit, you-re not going to stay quit for very long. This is a life-changing decision that YOU have to be ready to make. You made the choice to start, you have to be ready when you make the choice to quit. Anyone else badgering you needs to back off and be supportive, not oppressive. Stress about quitting will do more harm to your baby than quitting when you-re ready will.
Is it dangerous to quit smoking when pregnanttgt;? -