How can you convince someone to quit smoking? -

Saturday, February 10, 2007

How can you convince someone to quit smoking? -


The -someone- would be my mom.
That is what we have in common. I find ciggarettes in her purse. (as in my mom) But some times, you got to steal her light and ciggs. Talk to her too, that will help out. Tell her you want your mom to stay alive for a long time and that you love her. When she tries to quit, she may be cranky. But you got to learn, helping can have some concequences too. I want my mom to be above the influence no matter how old she is. But like people have been saying, you cant just make somebody quit smoking, encourage them. Kaiser Permenente has this thing that helps people with a smoking adiction. It might take so many tries for her to become a successful quitter. My teacher-s mother also has some kind of lung problem. That-s what happen when you get an addiction!
u cant. the only way someone will stop smoking is if they want. honestly when someone gets on me about how i should quit it makes me want to smoke more
You can-t...Take it from an ex-smoker who has tried to get her father to quit for 10 years. BUT you can tell her how worried about her health you are and that the thought of losing her scares you to death. That-s what my children did 10 years ago when my husband and I decided to quit together. You can tell her that you know it will be one of the hardest things she has ever done and that you will be supportive even if she is terribly grouchy and irritable, which she will be. You can help by buying some of the Nicoderm CQ patches which is what we used. A lot of people who haven-t ever smoked before don-t understand that you are not only giving up the nicotine but also the hand to mouth habit. Which is why so many people gain weight when they quit smoking. That was the hardest thing for me. What to do with my hands? But if you nag, it will backfire and only make her try to avoid you. My younger sister does that to my dad and he doesn-t want to be around her. The only way that a person can quit an addiction is if they, themselves actually WANT to do it. If she decides she wants to do it because she hates seeing you so worried then she can do it with your help. Try to be understanding...depending on how much and how long she has smoked she could experience night sweats, shaking, nightmares, headaches, and possibly feel tightness in her chest. My husband did but I didn-t. Good Luck!! It-s one of the best things we ever did and I wish I could convince my dad to quit also.
i-m a smoker and i have been for 4 years now. it is extremely hard to quit smoking. i-m sorry to tell you this but you cant make some quit smoking. it is something they have to do on their on. be supportive, find materials and booklets on smoking. tell them you will help buy products to help with quit, but make sure you buy them and not just give her money. if she really wants to stop she will, but it is a very very hard thing to do and it takes a lot of strength to quit.

good-luck!
I don-t think you can. They have to want to do it themselves. It is an addiction. My husband has tried to quit many times. I keep hoping one of these times he will be successful. You can only encourage your mom to quit, for her sake and yours. The rest is really up to her.
depends on the person. If they are really addicted then proubally not nut if dey jus started den yea if you really talk to em
Sorry, You can-t convince someone into quitting smoking. Most likely anyway
Most people I know that smoke (me included), have to want to quit. If they don-t want to quit. Most likely they wont. I stopped smoking, only I decided that it was time to stop. I say stop because I stopped smoking for five years, only to start smoking again. So, you see most people have to have the desire to quit. Ask anybody, and they will tell you the same thing I think.
How can you convince someone to quit smoking? -