Has anyone succesfully quit smoking recently? How did you do it and what were your side affects? -

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Has anyone succesfully quit smoking recently? How did you do it and what were your side affects? -


I have smoked for ten years, I really want to quit. I have a great support system but I am a little affraid of going cold turkey. Is that the best way? anyone have any tips that have quit recently?
I tried to cut back to 15 then 10 then 5 then 1 and had a car wreck, so back to 20. Honestly, I just decided to keep my money, bought some of the nicotine gum (Nicorette) and instead of chewing 4-6 pieces daily, only chewed 3. Then down to 1, then I switched to Extra bubble gum (needed the activity of bubbles!). It-s been over 3 years, and whenever anyone -needs- cigarettes, I offer gum. Lectures are tempting, but gum is effective, eve if it tastes horrible...Get moving, COPD sets in fast, and keeps growing after you quit, so don-t waste any more time.
my uncle is a hypnotherapist, and he suggested, change the way you input the info.
INFO- quit smoking, how about becoming a non-smoker?
if you think you need 2 week-s to stop, give your self a month.
Every time you grab a smoke tell yourself;
- On 10/01/2007 I WILL be a NON-smoker-
I was raised not to be a QUIT-ER
Quit after fifty years of non-filters. The key is your statement, -I really want to quit- if true then just do it. There are no side affects.
I quit 5 months ago.

The best way to quit is the one that works for you.

Check out Quit Assist,
http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitas…
which has a great deal of information about quitting.

Take the Why Do I Smoke Quiz at
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/…
to identify what triggers your smoking.

Make an appointment with your doctor to determine what smoking cessation aids, if any, would work best for you.

Join a support group. Yahoo has 3 groups. My favorite is Nicotine Busters. They have a wealth of information about quitting and provide great support.

The best of luck to you!!!
A couple of my freinds use nicotine patches to take the edge off.
They say if you can get through the first 3 days without smoking it gets easier from then on.
Except stay away from other smokers becuase you will crave it again just smelling the smoke.
Very wise choice to quit. Smoking hardens your arteries and sets you up for a heart attack. It takes 10 more years for your arteries to become fully elastic again. Best to start now and throw away the cigarettes.
I smoked 9 years and constantly had colds. I didn-t quit recently but I never used anything to help me. I just got sick of being sick!

I didn-t even finish my pack of cigarettes like most do. If you are serious. Break all the rest of them in the pack. Empty all ash trays and any place you can find a butt to smoke. wash and air out all places you use to smoke. And avoid any places with smokers for a few weeks. Keep gum near by. And remember every MINUTE you stop smoking your lungs are healing. You can-t just have ONE cigarette like an Obese person on a diet just can-t have ONE cookie. It will cause a reaction. Keep reminding yourself that your lungs are healing everyday. Don-t reverse the hard work your doing to making them healthy again!!! You can do it. After two weeks you will walk by a smoker and the smell will make you sick. Only because you then will realize how you smelled to others. Soon one day will be three days will be three weeks three months three years and then you can be like me and ex smoker for 13 years. Keep on Keeping on!
you shortly cut down little by little.
Has anyone succesfully quit smoking recently? How did you do it and what were your side affects? -