What is the most effective way to quit smoking? -

Sunday, September 14, 2008

What is the most effective way to quit smoking? -


Keep in mind, I-ve been smoking for 16 years now. And while you-re at it, how do I keep from gaining a bunch of weight while I-m trying to quit?
stop buying em
1 Do not buy your smoke.
2 If you carry your smoke, don-t carry lighter,
3 if you carry lighter keep them in other room, so that you become lazy to go to other room to get lighter.
4 Don-t drink coffee, smoke always follows coffee,
5 Drink milk or orange juice these two things will not allow smoke to follow.
6. If you can-t understand any of the above advise, Just draw a chair, sit in corner, light up a smoke and think about it.
dont buy cigarettes and stop eating so much
Stop!

If you want it bad enough and if you have faith in yourself you can do it thru willpower.

Detox yourself

its the cheapest method, and it works

My mother and I both quit this way.

cold turkey baby!
good luck!

ps. snack on healthy foods (veggies and fruits)
I-ve heared that if you eat a cigarrette it could allow you to quit. If it makes you sick enough, your mind will associate the cigarette with becoming sick and gagging, and you wont want to touch them. Sometimes this technique works and sometimes it doesn-t. It all depends on how much you want to quit. Try doing some other activites durring times when you would usually smoke. Try chewing gum or something.
Use the patch + do it while away from work ( ie. a vacation )
Has worked for several of my coworkers
Die of lung cancer.
Im not a smoker so maybe I have no business answering your question, but at least 5 ppl I know quit smoking by reading some anti-smoking self help book thats out there and is pretty popular right now. I was thinking someone said it was almost like a self hypnosis book. Anyway apparently it really works, maybe someone else could tell you the name?
Urine Therapy. Seriously, look it up on amazon.com.
Oh its seriously so hard im trying myself. I quit doing drugs, quit eating meat and quit watching tv. This is honestly the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. My best advice is just lose contact with anyone who smokes.
Tie your hands behind your back
smartest thing to ever do.........not start....cause your health is screwed now..and if you do quit---you will gain weight---and if you dont then your lucky but 16 years of smokeing....proble -7years of your life...sorry to break it to you
Cold Turkey..Don-t worry about wait. Walk to miles a day.
the most effective way...Dont buy smokes. Yeah right you say. Well thats most effective...

OR smoke so much it makes you so sick you wont wanna smoke again.

And the gaining weight thing..Dont eat bad foods (junk foods) have carrots and celery sticks ready....You need to replace your BAD habbit with a healty one. So everytime you think you want a smoke something else can take its place. Something you can do everytime. Now there can be different things...like in the house you do one thing in the car you do another...and somthing different at work....think hard you can do it if you really want to.
GOOD LUCK
oh and ps...If you smoke full flavor dont go to medium light or ultra lights...they have more nicoten FOR REAL
I smoked for 15 years and I got hypnotized. There is a little weight gain involved because you body will not be dehydrated any longer... It feels wonderful! Just exercise and eat right and you won-t have any problems..

My mother smoked for 30+ years and quit about a year before I do (I have been smoke free for a little over 4 years) and she quit cold turkey..... Strong woman I tell ya!
The most effective way is to quit all at once without even getting near a cigarette again,there is no such thing as slowly leaving it or smoking less and less,most of the time you wind up smoking more,in my case it wasn-t the fear of lung cancer or emphesima,my fear was that one day I would wind up damaging my throat and have to use one of those throat gadgets to speak, so after seeing one of those persons using that gadget,I quit and have not touch a cigarette for six years
Okay I did this and it worked for me. Get yourself a midget. Every time you even think about a cigarette this little midget will kick your azz. He will kick your azz so hard your brain will poor out of your ear like soup. Then you will never even think about smoking again.
There might be sevaral methods to do it, but everyone of them should use one ability of your mind:

IMAGINATION

Yes, depending on willpower is always going to set you for failure, because the subconcious mind doesn-t understand that. But constantly imagining what your life would be as a non-smoker will do the trick. Think constantly about how better you-ll feel, how much extra energy you-ll get, how much money you-ll save, etc. Write these down in a piece of paper - -Like I saved $20 this week by not smoking- and keep it in your pocket and read it when you have an urge to smoke.

Worked for me. I quit cold turkey a year ago.
I-ve read the others above, but I definitely feel what your saying as a fellow smoker. I think that it starts in the mind. You have to make-up in your mind that you don-t want to smoke anymore....period. I-ve quit before, but started back up again after 9 months... isn-t that something (I know not very helpful info for you). All I did was really set up in my mind that I didn-t want to do it and really stuck to it. (Mind over matter). I will quit for good. Also, ask God to help you... he will hear your request. Good luck.
start a light workout with cardio like light jogging, jumprope, or even hitting the heavy bag. Also if you drink stop drinking for at least 3 weeks.
I JUST THREW THE PACK AWAY 8 YEARS AGO HAVEN,T SMOKED SINCE WAS HARD FOR A MOUTH
make the decision you want to live healthy and cut down the amount and the strenght of cigs you smoke and join a gym at the same time.set a date to completely stop and do it.if you fail the first time don-t wait and try again.eventually you will do it.good luck.
too combat the weight gain just do cardio activities that both burn calories and give you non-smoker satisfaction.

When quiting it-s most important to feel good about what you are accomplishing on a daily basis BUT never get too confident or this could be the first step towards a relapse.

Keep away form trigger environments for a while, like a friend who smokes, bars and such. Just for a while - and tell them, -be patient while I do this for myself-. They-ll understand
If you have been smoking for 16 years, you are not going to do it cold turkey.

Talk to you doctor about Chantix - a new cessation aid from Pfizer.

http://www.chantix.com/

The reported success rate (20% smokefree after 1 year) is excellent compared to other methods.

You will gain weight - there are metabolic changes that occur. Don-t worry about it. You can lose the weight later after you-re smoke-free.

Keep in mind that it is an addiction, and a very severe one. Expect to suffer when you quit. Don-t let that stop you from trying.

Good luck.
you have to want to make the choice to quit or else all the extrs help crap is for nothing.
try some herbal cigarettes u find in some of the medical shops.

a smoker since 16 years can have a lot of problem to quit. its possible that you may have an constipation problem if you do.

the trick here to quit smoking shud be..try to develop an negative image of an cigarette rather than an life saver from tensions. once you start detesting it you wil stop. or else try to divert the habit. each time you feel like smoking do something else, like chewing gum or something like that which is relatively less dangerous than smoking. But keep it in mind that you have to have an mammoth of an will power to do this sir. Can you ?

and there is a saying here in india..that if you quit smoking, do it after telling all the people around your life. it makes them to remind you not to smoke or they will not smoke in front of you.

all the best.
take the patch or the gum and get into a support group where they talk about stop smoking. Excercising.
55% or more (guessing) of people who use a support program are more likely to quit.
I think the patch is the best way. Snack on sugar free candy.
I will CURE you right here and now!
I have seriously ATTEMPTED to be hooked on tabacco, gin and some powdery fun in Peru!
I consider myself a MAD SCIENTIST in those cases however, I have never been HOOKED on anything.
Tell yourself right now, -I can do what I want to do!-
List those things you ABUSE right now like the cigs or whatever.
Tell yourself, -I am unique and DON-T fall into the mind game of I am like everyone and I am addicted or needy etc...
Next, never say NEVER again, just start tomorrow by putting a pack of cigs in the freezer. You will smoke so little in the next few days, you will HAVE to keep them in there to keep them from going stale.
Now, just for KICKS, see how long it takes to truly (inside yourself) feel the desire or desperation for a smoke. Force the warrior inside you to take over and impress yourself with how little EVERYONE-s TYPICAL weakness really doesn-t get hold of you, cause your braver and stronger than all the rest.
The longer you DON-t have a cig, the more you will deserve a reward puff or reward cig.
Don-t tell everyone what your up to, just do it for a few days, even a week and then mention it.
Continue this (challenging game) with a no big deal attitude.
Do you know your lungs clear out and are like re-born, merely WEEKS after quiting? They do!
When they feel pretty good, take a bike ride or a long walk near a stream. Another gift you give yourself for being brave and tough!
You can pick days, weeks or months to simply say to yourself, -I can do anything I want, not smoke, smoke or climb a tree, but non of it is an addiction!
Simply put, you have permission to tolerate mysery or not tolerate mysery cause mysery is OPTIONAL!
Our worst downfall is believing we are all made up of the same downfalls as ever critter who ALSO owns a face!
Don-t be racist! Be your own thinker and your own champion and that isn-t just pep talk ****! Its reality. We have the keys to the freaken car, lets stop talking about it and cruise that puppy and even win a few drag races with it!
There, if you read this as a warrior and NOT as a mediocrity, you KNOW in your heart you just got over an addiction! (We both know addictions don-t really exist, only a concept called addiction!)
Congrats you crazy kid! Get that bike ready, cause two rides a week and tons of fruit for the cravings of food are gona tone your ***, not put wieght on it! You knew that too, didn-t you??!!
the most effective way? Cold Turkey, throw away your cigarettes right now and never smoke again. it is the hardest way but, it is the most effective.
The only thing that-s going to help you quit is: quit cold turkey and will power. If you do quit, break out the bag of sugar free gum - candy. And again, will power to keep yourself from eating.

So my answer is COLD TURKEY - WILL POWER is the most effective way to quit smoking.

And thats all I have to say about that!
What is the most effective way to quit smoking? -