I woke up wanting to quit smoking, How can I make the next few days bearable? -

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I woke up wanting to quit smoking, How can I make the next few days bearable? -


Thanks ahead!
keep busy, have a full couple days planned the more you do the less time you think about it.. Chew gum and talk to a doc about nicotine gum or patches as they are quite helpful when trying to quit.
Whatever you do don-t drink :P
Great question!

I am 35 years old. I started smoking at 16 and finally quit last year. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

I woke up and threw away my full pack of smokes because I was hacking up yellow gunk from my lungs. It completely grossed me out. I got through the first few weeks by doing the following:

I got up earlier for work and started my first day as a non-smoker going for a brisk walk around my block..
Every time I wanted a cigerette, I drank a full 8 oz glass of water.
I bought gum and chewed lots of gum and I kept snacking on carrots, celery sticks and other healthy stuff.(you have to fulfill your hand to mouth movements)- to simulate the hand to mouth when you have a cigerette and you-re going to take a puff.

I got headaches so I took aspirin, but no matter how bad it was the first few weeks, my will power was stronger and I DID NOT give in to temptation/. I have not smoked in over 1 year and now I do not even crave it. I continued to work out and now I am running 5 miles a day and going to the gym 3 times a week. I am in great shape and looke way better than I did in my late 20-s.

To quit smoking is very hard but not impossible, it takes lots and lots of will power!
good for you. chew lots of gum and keep yourself busy
I quit smoking 2 years ago. A friend had a heart attack and his doctor told him -I know you will cheat on the diet but don-t ever , ever, ever pick up another cigarette-. Those words really struck a nerve. That was how I was able to quit cold turkey and never go back. I gained weight but thats another show. Good Luck!!!!!
keep busy, find something to fill your time, - get addicted to something good.
Suck on Tootsie Pops. Or cut a straw in half and keep it in your hand or suck on it from time to time.
I woke up wanting to quit smoking, How can I make the next few days bearable? -