To ex-smokers.. IYO, which are the best ways to quit smoking? -

Thursday, August 25, 2016

To ex-smokers.. IYO, which are the best ways to quit smoking? -


Huh, I smoke, +or- a package of cigarettes a day.. even if they are very light, I don-t like tobe addicted to them, and would like to quit. To tell the truth, I managed to do that years ago, I hadn-t smoked for 4ys and 1/2, and was just happy! But a couple of years ago I restarted cuz I was living a very hard moment.. stupid choise, I know, but that is. I feel maybe I-m not ready to do that right now, yet; but, I know very well how unhealthy it is, so would like being able to face that challenge soon. Tell me your opinion and your experience, w/o trying to scare me with stories of cancers and similars, plz!! Really, I already know it-s not a good habit at all.. :((
Depends on you. I tried the gum but ended up cheating. Went on the patch and it seems to be working well. Starting running at the same time and I am really enjoying it. As you know it depends on your mind set, if you really want it, you can do it. Remember the first week is the hardest, start putting limits on when and where you can smoke now, delay lighting one up for a few minutes etc.
I have been smoke free for a month now (I know its still early), and I have had no desire to light up again.
Best of luck to you and your goal, and congrats for seriously thinking about quitting. Pick your date and go for it....
Easiest way out of this habit is to deliberately reduce the number of cigarettes per day and cut the number of puffs from each cigarette consciously, and increase the gap between one cigarette and next and de-link the association that we tend to cultivate our smoking instincts with any of the other activities like one for after food, or with drink or after drink or before or after sex or one for the road etc. one with friend, for the cold weather and one for the hot climate etc. and the number of times you skip those associations you will be closer to kicking off the habit and the sooner you can do that the better it is for you. I suggest you don’t put any timetable to quit that is in case you are chronically habituated to smoking for a very long time, say 20 years or so. Any cessation should be a slow process and each time you skip a usual cigarette you should be enjoying that as a small victory. Without your knowing you will be off and away from that dreaded habit and soon you will start feeling even repulsion to smoke, even secondhand smoke and also might be wondering why you were smoking all the while. This method works for any habit. Habits are like cobwebs first and get like steel mesh before we would know and so it is better to get rid of them very slowly.
If you stop abruptly then chances are you pick up that habit again abruptly, tomorrow or one year later and again it is the same story. This was my personal experience with smoking. I am an ex-smoker. Believe me. I need not preach about hazards of smoking, as everybody knows them. But unfortunately our blood and nervous system can-t be made aware of it. So we have to teach it to our system ourselves like we have acquired it. None else in the world will be in a position to help that in that process, even closest of close friends or family. All the very best.
Tell everybody you know about your decision.

Look at
http://www.theaones.com/answers/health/a…
for a complete explanation about the Trick To Quit Smoking
you cannot and will not quit until you make a decision to quit.
if you tell yourself you-re going to try to quit smoking, you will not quit. your mind has to be set. A couple of other things will help, too...the Nicorette gum helps, if you drink alcohol, switch to non-alcoholic beer for 2-3 months.

I was smoking 3 packs of camels a day, and quit cold turkey using the above methods. That was nearly 17 years ago and I haven-t had a cigarette since.
Cut down on the amount of packages you Smoke in a day.Keep doing that progressively and you are going to see changes.*Ask for proffessional help.
i just stopped it ..i think it is a mind thing
i used to smoke, but not anymore, it has been 2 1/2 years ... i tried to quit, but it wasn-t easy ... so i switched my brand to something really really light (those skinny, long cigarrete for women) ... they were so light that i didn-t feel a thing ... then after a while (like a week or so) ... i just didn-t feel like smoking anymore ...

that was how i quitted.

wait, my co-workers just stopped by and asked if i want to go for a smoke break w/ them ... i think i-ll stay here instead :-)
That-s a hard one...I-m a ex-smoker...then not! Just like you. I do fine if I am not around smoke/smokers. I usually only smoke NOW if I am out with the clan in a social atmosphere. If I-m attending a gathering and drinking...i smoke. I CAN-T smoke in the morning...or all day long. I would vomit! When I attend a social gathering, I can slam down a pack in no time...I hate it. I never have a alcohol hangover...don-t drink that much...but the butt-handover...ARGH! I keep telling myself it is so unhealthy. I quit cold turkey once. The most I-ve gone without smoking is about 14 days. I don-t know...nic. support groups...reading about it. I was told to keep yourself busy when ya get a craving...Good luck! Let me know!
Cold turkey!
-Trying- to quit leaves the cop-out probability of slipping back because you -tried-
. It-s so easy to forgive yourself if you tried.
Think of it this way: It should be (is) easier NOT to do something than to do it. Sounds simplistic but believe me - it gets easier every day and the rewards are manifold. You don-t need luck...just resolve.
Quit cold turkey. Use your will. It is the greatest force on earth ! Good Luck ! :)
I quit cold turkey. Simply stopped buying them. (I had a nasty head/respiratory bug at the time so it helped.) Now I just conciously look at cigarettes and anyone who is smoking and think of throwing up. (this has gotten so realistic I feel sick writing it)
Try antidepressant Zyban (Bupropion XL). It helps with withdrawal symptoms, cravings, and urges. It is the most useful drug in my opinion.

Varenicline (Chantix, Pfizer, usually as varenicline tartrate) is a prescription medication used to treat smoking addiction. By acting similarly to nicotine on the brain it reduces cravings for cigarettes and other tobacco products and may assist some patients in smoking cessation.

First take a decision to quit smoking. Start Zyban 150mg. Try to avoid smoking. The drug will take 3 - 12 weeks for a full effect. I hope you will be able stop smoking completely in 2 months. Continue the drug for some months after quit smoking, it prevents relapse. Much better if you do these things under the supervision of a Clinical Psychiatrist.

A lot of other techniques like Hypnosis, Herbal preparations such as Kava Kava and Chamomile, Nutritional nicotine detoxification, Acupuncture are available, but not effective.

Read more about smoking cessation:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smoki…


Stop smoking and get benefits like

Compared to smokers, your…
Stroke risk is reduced to that of a person who never smoked after 5 to 15 years of not smoking

Cancers of the mouth, throat, and esophagus risks are halved 5 years after quitting

Cancer of the larynx risk is reduced after quitting

Coronary heart disease risk is cut by half 1 year after quitting and is nearly the same as someone who never smoked 15 years after quitting

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease risk of death is reduced after you quit Lung cancer risk drops by as much as half 10 years after quitting

Ulcer risk drops after quitting

Bladder cancer risk is halved a few years after quitting

Peripheral artery disease goes down after quitting

Cervical cancer risk is reduced a few years after quitting

Low birth weight baby risk drops to normal if you quit before pregnancy or during your first trimester the benefits of quitting
look at it as -mind over matter- you can do it
Carry an pack of cigarettes on you without the cigarettes in it. Put either gum or a tasty treat in it (my favorite was Hershey-s) The chocolate puts you in a great mood.

The hardest part about quiting smoking is quiting the habit of doing it, not the nicotine. On average it takes 8 weeks to start a habit (IE A work out routine) So I would assume it takes about the same to break one.

Congrats on willing to quit. You know your lungs start to repair themselves after your last cigarette?!
I quit about 4 years ago. I quit cold turkey. I think I was addicted to the habit of actually smoking more than the nicotene. Especially while driving. So, I started eating sunflower seeds so I would still have that motion. It worked and I have been smoke free for 4 years with no problem!
To ex-smokers.. IYO, which are the best ways to quit smoking? -