For those of you that have quit smoking? -

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

For those of you that have quit smoking? -


i quit smoking a little more than 3 months ago. it was easier to quit than i thought it would be, probably because i am pregnant and i did it for my unborn, as i had been unable to do it before when it was just for myself. i had been a pack a day (at least) smoker for 13 years. but still everytime i see someone light up or smell smoke i have a ridiculous craving. when does this pass?
Sigh...I agree that they probably never go away either. I usually hate the smell of cigarettes though, the only time it is hard for me is when I am drinking alcohol. I quit after I had my daughter because I read that cigarettes are concentrated in your milk. Then after a year, I started again, only when I drank. Then I started drinking more so I could smoke...ha ha! So then I got pregnant again and quit again for about 2yrs or more. Started again after stopping breastfeeding, only when I drank, AGAIN....sigh. Now I am pregnant again, so I will quit again and I don-t plan on ever having a cigarette again. Even if that means I can never drink alcohol again. It-s weird though. My cravings went away after quitting for my kids. I just never really craved them. Especially after time. Cigarettes just smelled disgusting to me and still do. But when I drink.....I dunno why, I just HAVE TO have one. Good luck to you and just remember that it-s not only you that-s smoking that cigarette, it-s your little baby inside too. That should override the cravings. Try munching on carrot and celery sticks or something healthy. That will benefit your baby much more! If you have cravings after having your baby (and breastfeeding) you can try the herb lobelia. I heard of many successes with it. Also, acupuncture is supposed to be very effective. You can probably even do that during pregnancy. Have a great day!
When I got asthma (due to
a neighbor-s burn barrel), I
was faced with quitting the
cigs or death. I simply could
not breath. But like you, I
would hang around smokers
and breath deeply.
I don-t really see anything
wrong with that. The craving
subsides and pretty soon the
smell of cigs will just about
make you vomit...especially
if you-re pregnant. Instead of
inhaling deeply, just get a
smell and walk away.
Keep some strong smelling gum handy. Something like Juicy Fruit that will overpower the smoke smell with it-s own smell. That fresh smell will be a distraction from the smoke and a proud reminder to you that you have quit and intend to stay that way! Good luck!
Over 2 years here (February 14th) and I still have them

My mom-s been over 10 and I think she still has them.

Everyone is different, just don-t give in to them. I-ve heard deep cleansing breaths work or sucking on a straw.
never, boo hoo :(
It took me about 6 months to not really want one when someone lit up.
But thanx to my sturdy will, I am still smoke free after 14 years.
For those of you that have quit smoking? -