I quit smoking a while ago, is it likely to have done any irreversible damage? -

Friday, May 4, 2007

I quit smoking a while ago, is it likely to have done any irreversible damage? -


I was smoking for 4 years in total - the first 2 years was only 1 or 2 cigarettes a day, then up to a couple of nights a week I would smoke half a pack socially. In the last 2 years of smoking I was having about 8 - 10 a day, and more in social situations. I quit 4 months ago and am now 23. Is it likely that most of the damage will heal? Being 4 months since I quit, would my body have recovered completely by now?
Consult your family doctor who will be in a position to tell youy exactly what harm has been done to your body or whether it is reversible or not. On the face of it I don-t think you have suffered any serious harm.
This is easy for me to say because I am not a smoker, but doesn-t every cigarette do you damage? You have been breathing tar into your lungs which will be there in some form, depending on how much you smoked before you stopped. I do know that when you stop smoking, your health improves though. I-m not sure if it improves 100% or what but you do notice a difference quickly. I would definately speak to your GP who will be able to give you more specific information. To get you started, have a look at this website:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/p…

You might also want to call the Australian quit line on 131848 to ask them about your health status.
I quit smoking a while ago, is it likely to have done any irreversible damage? -