I am ready to quit smoking. How do I convince my husband to do it with me? -

Thursday, July 19, 2007

I am ready to quit smoking. How do I convince my husband to do it with me? -


I have not smoked since yesterday. I am going crazy. My husband is trying to be considerate of me, but in reality he is not. He is going in the other room at home and hes is not smoking at our office (we work together) But I can still smell it and taste it on him. What can I do?
You just have to live with it. You can-t convince him to stop smoking. The only way someone can stop smoking is if they really want to.
If you have kids you should out a picture of the child on the box. So when he goes to get one he feels guilty. Or just talk about it and how nasty it is and what it does to your lungs,.
tell him he will die before you because his lungs will be all screwed up and tell him you want to die together.
Honey if your husband isn-t ready to quit smoking there isn-t anything you can do. Please save yourself. This is from a lady that has lost my mother, two brothers, two sister in laws and another one at Heaven-s door, and numerous other relatives from smoking.
Chantix has been very successful to help quit smoking. Make a doctors appointment for both of you and in a matter of weeks, you both with be disgusted with the taste of cigarettes. Every patient that I have talked to has been thrilled with the medication and calls it a miracle.
Steal his cigarettes and throw them away when he does not have $$ to afford to smoke,he will stop smoking.I
try to convince him that it don-t do you any good to quit smoking if you are inhaling the second hand smoke. he should be concerned about the rest of the family especially children inhaling it.
Clean up your own act and don-t worry about him.
First let me say -YOU GO GIRL- quiting smoking can be a tough challange,but it can be done, but more importantly you have to convince your husband to quit also, and the only way you can do that if you can continue to stay free of smoking,because this is about you, sometime when other see someone stop and stay stop they may do it , but if not you know you did the most best thing. once again keep it up and stay smoke free.
Well you can say to yourself anytime you feel like a smoke cor is that the way I used to smell. U know most non smokers are considerate enough to be pleased with being non and ex, smokers that they don!t pass any remarks about the stench coming from smokers and this doesn!t help the still smoking friend partner or passing ciggy held stranger. So all you can do is to hope that your hubby follows you by your example and willpower as being an ex, smoker it does take some strength. Now a whole day that-s good it will get easier by the minute play for time,wash your hair think about your lungs going pink again and most of all don!t wait until you have done to much damage, I have been off fags now for a good few years, I have Emphysema and it!s not very pleasant, not trying to frighten you but think how lucky you are if you don!t have, keep it up and good health, hubby will follow I!m sure.
Putting pressure on him will not work.If he doesn-t want to stop he isn-t going to do so. Admitting tobacco is a bad habit and I use it myself, people including little kids nagging at you about it certainly doesn-t help anything. I-m sorry there is no good answer to this question that you will like.
Good for you! Keep it up.
Can we really make anyone do anything they don-t want to?
It seems you-re ready but he may not be.
Just encourage him the best you can and set a good example.
When he-s ready he-ll do it.
tell him that you really want to do this and that you need his support. good luck and congrats on quitting!!!
I don-t know that you can convince him to quit if he is not ready. However I see that he is -going to the other room- One thing you should do is set some ground rules such as no smoking in the house, no smoking in the car.

I like someone-s idea of a -smoking robe- to help keep the smoke off his clothes and mouthwash and washing and stuff like that to keep him smelling nice, but depending on your guy, he may not be up for it.

Once you get him so he is not smoking in the home, you can try cleaning up the home. Get rid of ashtrays, clean glass and walls, clean your carpets and wash all your bedding.

Also, make sure you tell your husband how great he smells when he gets out of the shower and doesn-t have the smoke smell on him. This gives him added incentive to quit.
Your husband my be telling the truth. When you-ve been smoking for such an long time and you decided to quite the next day it leaves an smile for days and days at an time. So if I were you and I-m not just trust your husband before you blame him for something he did not do.
if he dont quit smoking say goodbye to a long nice realationship!
You can-t. He has to want to. Offer him an incentive like whatever money he now spends on cigarettes he gets to spend on whatever he wants. Tools, toys, stereos equip. or whatever. Worked for me. I was a 3 pack a day smoker 10 yrs. ago
Don-t have sex with him of ANY form until he agrees. That-ll do the trick.
It really needs to be up to him.He was smoking when you were.I guess just let him know how much better you feel now and how it stinks to you.I wouldnt pressure him ,I t might cause more problem than the smoking habit.Good luck with your quiting!!!!!!
Its hard to believe how everyone here is so negative about convincing your husband to engage in this ordeal with you. There are many things you can do together to help each other quit.

Nicotine Anonymous is a good start. Try to attend it with your husband, he might reject the idea at first, but there-s something about women and charming men into doing what they-re told....

Another couple activity could be a simple excercize in the morning... start out VERY simple, like walking the dog in the morning (or without the dog if you don-t have one). Remember, SIMPLE, walking at first, then a little at a time take it to brisk walking... then jogging...

Try to maintain things with a positive attitude, tell him things like - he-s STRONGER than the ciggarette,- and keep -weak,- -addicted,- and such terms out of your vocabulary. The thing is, positive statements are encouraging whereas negative statements tend to make people feel helpless (and we don-t want that).

Try to make things competitve as well, during your simple excercize or during your everyday interaction... tell him the you haven-t smoked a ciggarrette since yesterday and that you-re PROUD of it, and that you would be PROUD of him if he-d do the same. (Another example of positive statements, don-t tell him that you -wish- he would do the same. For example tell him that you KNOW that he has the same STRENGTH that you do.)

Last but not least, try to stick together. You need to understand that you need to support each other on this. If one of you backs out, the other is left alone in the dark. That-s a no-gooder.

I hope this helped, and I wish you the bes of luck.
People think it-s crazy but, I am a hypnotism success story and recommend it to anyone. I went with a friend, he didn-t make it. I did because I convinced myself I am stronger than nicotine and will power is amazing. You need to, not quite embarrass him but, borderline give him a guilt trip. Something along the lines of I can do it, why can-t you? This is something you need to do in front of company or out somewhere. TOUGH LOVE! good luck.
let your man get to know your intentions. sit him down and respectifully discuss your decision with him. tell him you wouldnt like to see him die earlier than normal. explain the repercussions to him,yourself and most importantly the kids.
children learn a lot by imitation. he wouldnt like to see his children smoke simply because of a decision he could make, if he tries to. reinforce him by praising him for an effort on his part. all while, make sure you still stand by your own decisions.
Queen, i wish you all the best in this life saving endeavour. it will save your family press hard.
I know from experience that he has to be ready to quit on his own.

Maybe when he sees how well you are doing, he will decide to give it a try.

Meanwhile, for some support for yourself, visit Quitnet at

http://www.quitnet.com/


I got a lot of support from them when I was quitting.
congratulations! the first day is really tough! i am in the exact same boat. i-m doing this cold turkey and my husband is just so weak. he wants to quit, but really gives up at the first pang of withdrawal. all you can do is don-t quit quitting!! i know it means alot to have someone there with you and being supportive. i miss that too. i-m just happy that my children see what i-m doing (or not doing) and my 3 yr old is even proud of momma! what i-m planning on, is getting my husband a prescription for chantix. i-ve heard some great things about it. i-m gonna just set it on his dresser and see how that goes. if you need a cheerleader, let me know!! i-m proud of you!!! day one, so hard!! it gets a little better each day. and going crazy,i can commiserate! i even felt like i was pretty stoned for a few days. oxygen lovely oxygen and it-s free! for me things really started picking up on day 5. not so crazy any more! good luck to you!! i-m pulling for you!! you are not alone! i promise!!!
I quit smoking about 2 months ago after I went to a rock and roll show that was smoke free. Then I realized that not only was this making my lungs hurt and causing to me to worry alot, but it wasn-t even cool anymore. I am still on the patch, and I couldn-t do it without it. I also started excercising every morning.

To make a change, there has to be some degree of pain that makes people WANT to change. Without that pain, the change won-t stick, it will just be cosmetic.

I commend your efforts! I wish you and your family the best.
tell him you-r ready to quit and you can-t do that if he can-t, of course you can-t do that knowing that he can-t also, you might get envy with him. hehe! tell him the benefits of quitting smoke. but if he really can-t stop it, and you-re really ready you can do it without him quitting (if you-re really ready). maybe he-ll realize about it if he sees you not smoking already (if you really quit). Good day! Goodluck!
You can-t convince him to do it with you. He has to do it when he-s ready and for himself not you-
You can tell him your concerns and make some rules- like he has to brush his teeth or chew gum or use mouthwash and wash his hands every time he smokes and you could have a special -smoking robe- or something that he puts over his clothes to go smoke so that his regular clothes are less affected.
Good LUCK with the quitting!!
Tell your husband that he can die and u don-t want to see him die and tell him that he-s killing his -your kids and he-s killin u
This is a matter that requires prayer.

I was able to quit back in October of 2005. Haven-t smoked since. I believe this is because someone said a prayer for me, because I could definitely see the hand of the Lord in it.

Ask friends, your preacher, your neighbors, the clerk at the grocery store to pray for him, and you.

The very sad truth of the matter is that you cannot stop smoking (if you-re an addict) unless and until you want to. The Lord can make him want to.

Unfortunately, so can cancer, emphysema, etc.
quiting smoking is hard enough for one person but even harder for two, except if you encourage each other it will undoubtedly be that little easier.There is no guaranteed way to quit just keep persevering good luck.
if you really want to quit smoking its so easy, just tell yourself that your going to stop smoking then thats it, can you just imagine that smoking can cause cancer or any part of your body will be distroyed, before going to sleep ask yourself this question, why i want to quit.........??????? why? hehehehe no need to tell you the answer you know it already face IT!... talk to your buddy heartily that you two will stop smoking because its bad for your health..before its to late.. the best cure is to stop smoking!
I am ready to quit smoking. How do I convince my husband to do it with me? -