What are some great inexpensive ways to quit smoking aside from cold turkey? -

Friday, July 27, 2007

What are some great inexpensive ways to quit smoking aside from cold turkey? -


Ive only been smoking for two years, and I would like to quit... its very hard to stop this nasty habit, Anyone have any suggestions/methods on how to quite without quitting cold turkey, or using the patch? Its way to expensive for me...
But smoking has become my biggest addiction. Im tired of spending the money on cigarrettes and polluting my body...also what can I do to get my husband to stop smoking or atleast stop smoking around me once I quit because he is hard headed..because I know if he smokes it will be to easy to give in to temptation...
I would try to ween yourself off of them. That way you can gradually get less and less nicotine in your system and your cravings will subside. I started by only letting myself smoke after work or on weekends, then gradually I got down to 2 a day, one a day, every other day until I really didn-t feel the urge any more. The hardest part was if I had a drink, and yes I slipped a few times, but for me it never was the same after I quit. I did have the support of my husband though. Good luck to you, I have been 6.5 years without a ciggarette, and I started at 15 smoked for 6 years!
if your husband smokes inside your house make him go outside,chew gum,keep yourself busy its easier to quit in the winter make your self go outside and smoke and that way you wont want to. its very hard. im pregnate and still smoke ive been smoking for 6 years and ive quit 3 or 4 times.
pregnacy helps lol. the smell of it makes you sick for a while
Lots of stores now have cheap patches, even walmart, at least for the first week or two they-re really good. Just for a few months take every penny that you would have spent on cigarettes and buy frivolous stuff for yourself. Bubble bath and toenail polish and cappuccino coffees. Think of all the losers that you know that quit smoking, you re way better than them, right? Best of luck and I-ll be thinking good thoughts to you and wishing you worlds of success.
its come to my attention that you can talk to your local health department about getting FREE patches to quit. all it takes is a little patience to get through it. as for your hubby, ask him to join you in quiting smoking, for your health and his. you really have the right frame of mind to quit. i wish you and your husband all the best!
i tried everything to give up and i have smoked since i was 13 and I-m 40 now. the only thing that has worked for me is cold turkey, i tried patches, gum and hypnosis and none worked (or worked for very long)
i have now been smoke free for 2 years and went cold turkey this time the first couple of weeks was tough but if you can find a friend to quit with it helps
My partner smokes too, but i managed to quit. It did make it harder having him smoking around me but on the other hand u haven-t really quit until u can handle being around other smokers n not have one. U will still want one even after u-ve quit though. I quit going on 3 years ago now n my lungs feel great, same as the rest of me but i still think about having -just one- occassionally n i-ve been tempted to the point i-ve had 1 in my mouth ready to light but i stopped. Just the thought of how much better everything smells n tastes now. My perfumes actually smell right now, u know. When i first quit i used a herbal smoke the tobacconist showed me, there are a few types on the market. I gotta admit they tasted a lil funky n smelt like i was smoking tea leaves but they relieved the need for -hand to mouth- habit. Thats what i found the hardest to get over: once u-ve gotten past the physical cravings for the chemicals, its the habit thats the hardest to kick. U-ll find urself with alot of spare time that u used to smoke in and with ur partner still smoking n probably a few friends too, u tend to feel a lil left out. They are all outside smoking n talking as per usual n u either have to sit with em n withstand watching everyone else smoking or stay away. It sux at first but try making everyone smoke outside that way at least when the weather turns cold, its u who has the desirable spot, not shivering ur bits off outside in the cold! When its warm though, if its safe, when u reallly get itchy for a smoke n u think ur gonna give in, go for a run or a swim or some physical activity u enjoy. U-ll feel better afterwards, u-ll have amused ur brain until the craving went away n if u try using physical activity as ur -distracter- then u avoid the weight gain some people experience when they quit. Which by the way, is because most use food as their -distractor-. Good luck, i hope u succeed, but even if u give in n have to try to quit a few times, its not a failure! its another lesson closer to success!
suck on a jolly rancher whenever you feel like you need to smoke.and chew lots of gum.it worked for a guy on my football team.so yeah



i wish you the best of luck
I quit smoking by smoking menthol cig-s. The reason was because I was always at the bar drinking and when I drank I would smoke. By smoking only menthol I wouldn-t be able to bum cig-s from anyone else. On top of that no one would bum them from you b/c the majority of people think they are gross. It may take a week or so for you to get used to the menthol taste, but eventually it-s not bad and for whatever reason it was much easier for me to quit. I didn-t have as bad of cravings with them.
i used the skoal bandits for the nicotine and then gave them up every day add a bandit and smoke less cogs then as the bandits out number the cigs down spiral all of them to a stop in 30 days i went from 3 to 4 packs to zero in 1983 ,, when in the army i paid about 2.50 a carton for marlnoros and when home a said i wouildnt pay
I stopped smoking 2 years ago, after smoking 2-3 packs a day for 27 YEARS.
I went cold turkey, and I firmly believe it is the best way to go. No cost to you--a huge savings, in fact! Keep a lot of gum, hard candy, and celery - carrots around for the oral addiction, and get some little wire tavern puzzles, click-pens, or worry stones for the hand thing. Good luck to you---save the money - reward yourselves with a vacation!
Personally, I quite cold turkey but not everyone can do that. Try chewing gum or holding a pen in your hand. Keep yourself busy so that you-re not as likely to think about having a cigarette. Finding a hobby to take the place of your habit would be rewarding.

Once you-ve made the choice to not smoke, politely ask your husband to respect your decision not to smoke and have him smoke outside. He will probably smoke less if he has to smoke outside and you won-t be tempted by his 2nd hand smoke.

I have to give you a lot of credit for asking for suggestions and trying to go it alone when it comes to quitting. You can do it, don-t give up!! ;)
Cold Turkey is the only way to go....But you have to plan the date and stick to it........I gave myself two months planning.....that is 8 weeks right?, plenty of time.......b/4 my date of stopping, I worked my way up to it.............It worked like a charm...................I liked my cigarette with my coffee, after a meal, while talking on the phone, when I was with my friends out for an evening or just getting together, while reading the paper,,,,,, in other words, I smoked 1 1/2 pks a day...many years...........
The first day of my plan, I smoked my cig after I ate.......did not have another one for an hour............had a cup of coffee with it........next hour had one talking on the phone., when cig gone, i hung up....next one I had while i relaxed and read some paper,
I did this hourly cigarette thing for 3 full weeks......sometimes I forgot b/cause I was busy doing something, so I waited until the next hour( I did it on the hour) easier that way....... workde real good....Forgot a lot because i kept busy doing things...
On the 4th week, I would not have one for 3 hours...worked good also.......and sometimes when I wanted one badly and almost grabbed one, I would stop myselt and do 10 sit-ups as a punishment......after a few times this worked also......(my abs were looking better) 5th week I would go 4 hours apart...6th week 1 cigarette every 6 hours...By this point in time, I felt light headed when I would have one, so didn-t want one as much...Didn-t think about them hardly at all...I would also start coughing sometimes too. At the end of 8 weeks I was no longer smoking and so proud.....,,....I did crave one every other day for a long time, but the thought went away quickly once I folded clothes or something.
I tried years b/4 but this time I planned it out well and it worked for me...............Also, I bought those pretend cigarettes after I quit, and I would hold them like I was smoking after I ate, and when I wanted one and I even puffed on it at times(just don-t light)
It was one of the hardest/yet easier once I had a plan, things I have ever done....Now I have a plan for my weight......Good Luck to You.............Make a plan.........sorry this was so long, but it had to be...............
the patch is not too expensive, sometimes your health provider has free programs, my insurance did. there are also support groups in your area.
just try...if i could quit ******* heroin and crack cold turkey...i think you could quit cigaretts
I would suggest you go to a hospital and ask to see pictures of what lungs of smokers look. If you don’t want to go to a hospital, go to a dentist and ask them to show you pictures of a smoker’s teeth. A picture says a thousand words and if you have love for yourself, you wouldn’t want to have either one.
you can-t make some one else quit smoking however i found if i cut a straw to the size of a cig. and inhale just like a cig. it helped the cravings. good luck
there are none. just quit. people who i-ve thought were sucking smoke for life have done it. cold turkey. as for your husband explain your feelings and all about secondhand smoke. if he cares at all he will at least smoke outside. how about a wager with him for some nice reward? nothing to lose but a disgusting habit. I smoked for many years and couldn-t believe how bad smokers smelled until i quit. cold turkey and i have no will power at all.
What are some great inexpensive ways to quit smoking aside from cold turkey? -