Trying to quit smoking? -

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trying to quit smoking? -


I have been smoking for 40 years. I started taking Chantix about 3 weeks ago and my stop date was the 1st of Jan. I can-t seem to do it. I was so manic and aggravated that I am now smoking about 6 cigs a day again. I was smoking 2 packs a day before. I know that everyone says you have to want to do it. I do, it was my idea to quit. Now I find that I don-t have the will power to do it. Any ideas?
I am on Chantix as well. I was a pack a day smoker. This is the 3rd time I-ve tried to quite (I did the patch and the gum- they are great for airplane flights but not for quitting).

I started a few days after you did. My stop date was January 3rd. I smoked about 5 cigs on the 3rd and 4th, 1 1/2 on the 5th and then stopped completely. This is my second day. While there is still desire, not enough to go to the store and buy them!

What I noticed about Chantix for me was cigarettes were no longer pleasurable. OK the taste was good and the inhaling good, but there was no rush so they stopped being useful to me.

I weigh about 130 pounds and am on the standard dosage.

Getting to my point now... It might take a few days longer for you to feel the effects of Chantix. Talk to your doctor, the drug might take longer to take effect in you, or you might need a higher dose.

The good news is that even if you do smoke, Chantix is designed to block the pleasure of your cigarette. So I am not suggesting that you keep on doing it -- it is also a habit that you are breaking -- but that don-t worry too much.

OK - on to the willpower thing. The Chantix has a GetQuit program that you can sign up for at:
http://www.chantix.com/content/The_GETQU…
They provide a bunch of tips and activities to get you started.

Keep your mouth busy with chewing gum. I like cinnamon gum because it is a bit hot and spicy, sort of like a smoke.

The biggest one for me...when I finally ran out of cigarettes from all of my stashes then I finally quit! Remove ashtrays. Get rid of cigarettes, give them away. Get rid of lighters. Launder smelly jackets and clothes that smell smoky.

If you have a partner that smokes or friend that smoke ask them not to smoke around you for a while. Tell them how important it is.

OK, clearly I am not a pro at this, but I want to quit this time. I want strong lungs and I don-t want to die because of smoking. I also want to have a family and I have to quit smoking to get pregnant.

My favorite motivator for quitting smoking right now: I will not give in to the tobacco companies. I will not let them take part of my paycheck and retirement savings. I will not let them get rich at my expense.

Enough from me. Best of luck on your journey.
I don-t understand it either. Each time I have quit has seemed to be a little easier than the time before. The first time I ever tried to quit I was going nuts by the end of the first day. My longest quit has been a little over a month.

Well, I just quit 3 days ago (cold turkey), and so far this time has been a breeze. The easiest yet so far. Hopefully this will be my last one.

Check out whyquit.com. They are a bit cultish, but there are lots of great idea-s there.

Best of luck!

http://www.squidoo.com/How_to_be_a_non-s…


This helped me out. good luck!
You-re About To Learn The Inside Secrets Of How To Quit Smoking Successfully with Hypnosis And The Best News Is:
One hour of online hypnosis let-s you stop smoking easily, quickly, and without struggle. You quit smoking permanently without cravings.
Nicotine Anonymous- A 12 Step Program offering support to those who want to quit cigarettes and quit smoking and stop other forms of tobacco and nicotine addiction.
Go now: http://healthylifeday.com/quitsmoking/
it is an addiction for many years that needs to be treated. consult your doctor for the best way to quit. as you said, you should have the willpower to quit. you can do this.
Just don-t give up, well done you-re now on 6 cigs a day. You must be proud of yourself. There-s really nothing more to do than YOU have to want it. Just trust yourself, you don-t want to give up just because some part of your brain says I can-t do it anymore. You came so far and it would be a shame to start again.
Try not to use anything that still gives you nicotine. Of course you-ll have withdrawel symptoms thats expected. Try another -hobby- for when you get the urge like chewing gum or....as bad as some think it is....biting your nails (thats the usual thing that replaces it) Heres some tips I found. All the best!!!
Perhaps you should contact the Quitline or join a Quit Smoking Clinic.
Chantix studies claim that only 44% quit after 12 weeks. You are not at the 12 weeks yet. All you have to do is keep trying to quit. I know that it is hard, and I know that it sucks. I know that it is a long process. Chantix is supposed to block the nicotine receptors so you don-t get that -high- when inhaling. That is the only thing that Chantix will do. You have to overcome the mental/ psychological part of quitting yourself. Chantix, will only put you through the physical withdrawal, because it is blocking the nicotine. It will not help you with the habitual part of smoking. You have to do that with your own willpower.

I tried the laser therapy back in August. While, I didn-t physically crave a cig, I mentally really wanted one. It was very hard. I messed up a few times, and then just did cold turkey. I struggle with it everyday and it has been 4-5 months now. I know that it sucks.

Good luck!
Trying to quit smoking? -