Best way to quit smoking? -

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Best way to quit smoking? -


I gave myself a date to quit smoking. It will be on September 5th 2006. Should I ease of the cigarettes as the day gets closer or just smoke normally till then. I plan on just quiting cold turkey.
Congratulations onyour decision to quit. I quit 25 days ago and these are some strategies that are working for me:

1. I take a bottle of water in the car with me when I drive. I was used to smoking while driving. Drinking water is a healthy way to replace that habit.

2. After a day or two I told my co-workers and friends. A good support network has been helpful when I-ve been tempted to smoke again. I don-t want these people to be disapointed in me.

3. If the urges become too much or if you start to get depressed see your doctor. I tried to go cold turkey on my own and it was too much for me. My doctor has been a big help in keeping me on track.

4. Remember to reward yourself. I bought myself my favorite ice cream when I went a week with no cigarettes :)

5. Put aside the money you would normally spend on cigarettes and plan to do something special for yourself with it.

6. When I-m struggling with a craving I try to focus my energy on something - a book or video game, special project, anything to occupy my mind and hands to keep from thinking about smoking.

It-s not a bad idea to start decreasing your smoking before your start date. Every cigarette you don-t smoke is a step closer to your goal!

Good luck.
I quit cold turkey. My daughter almost died at 3 from an asthma attack. Smoke was a major trigger. We smoked outside but still it was on our clothes and that was enough to trigger it. So I stopped and even welcomed the withdrawal pains. But it was easy because I had that to motivate me.


Report Abuse



Do any two things at the same time. ie; the patch with hypnosis


Report Abuse



use niqutin i used it and it worked i know feel comfortable.


Report Abuse



dont start!


Report Abuse



Okay, quitting is tough. I-m trying to quit right now. I had a lighter I always used to light my cigarettes. I smoked my last cigarette, and threw the lighter away. Now, it-s not quite as big of a pull for me to buy another pack. I knew that lighter always worked well, but I don-t want to try and get a new lighter to replace it. So far, I-ve been quit for a week... but I tell you, if the wife keeps nagging at me the way she has been, it won-t last much longer.
I think it-s easier to smoke less and less each day ... then on Sept 5th, no smokes at all.
My boyfriend wanted to quit smoking and he didnt quit completely at first he weened himself off of it. if you quit cold turkey it may make it harder. work out a plan that is good for you. if you usually have 10 cigs a day have only 8 and keep cuting it down each week. good luck
Exert your will power and don-t set a date. Just realize that you have the choice to do it if it-s really what you want. Simply quit. I know your body will still have a dependence on whats in the cigarettes, but take up a hobby that will atleast distract you long enough for cravings to pass. Maybe going to the gym or something?
Why wait until then? think how much you could save between now and then. Setting a date usually brings on a postponement when the time comes.

I stopped smoking in 1972, I heard the budget saying that cigs were going up by quite a large amount, I had three cigs in my packet and said that I would smoke them and that would be it. I have not smoked a cig since.
Cold Turkey is the best way even right now if you want to try tapering down if could make it a little easier!!
I have never smoked so I cannot say from personal experience but from friends and relatives that were smokers and then quit they all said quiting -Cold Turkey- was best for them... Good luck to you!
the best thing to do if you quit cold turkey is plan a few days packed with activities where you can-t smoke, and something that will keep your mind off of it. Cold turkey quitters are far more likely to relapse than those who cut down and actually quit though.
Think of flowers or think of something else when you think of smoking that usually works!!
WHY WAIT UNTIL 9-5-2006? DO IT SOONER. DO YOU WANT CHARRED LUNGS? DON-T TAKE MY WORD ... ASK A FRIEND THAT DON-T SMOKE .... HERE-S A WAY: LAY THE PACK BESIDE YOU - WAIT TO SEE HOW LONG BEFORE YOU LIGHT THAT CIGARETTE, THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE BETTER YOU WILL FEEL.
Go on smoking but you should read Allen Carr-s Easy way to stop smoking. Don-t laugh. I got a guilty conscious while I read it and my longing for cigarettes has decreased. Good luck..
stab yourself in the hand every time you light up
Best way to quit smoking? -