I want to quit smoking cold turkey...how should i start? -

Saturday, January 7, 2017

I want to quit smoking cold turkey...how should i start? -


i-ve been meaning to quit smoking for awhile but yeah...uphill battle...i need some pointers from successful people who-ve quit...
As other have said: you start by stopping.

Chew gum, go for walks, smoke a straw... find something to do (something HEALTHY! smoking weed is NOT a healthy alternative :P) instead of smoking when your craving.

Perhaps added incentive would be to take the money you would spend on cigarettes and drop it in a jar. watch it add up. kind of an incentive to yourself. when you reach a month or something, maybe splurge and buy yourself something you might not normally buy but want (new clothes, new game, a -special- dinner, etc)

perhaps wearing a rubber band around your wrist and -snapping- it against you when you get a craving might help? I-ve heard people using this for other bad habits (like nail chewing or nose picking, or scab scrapping, etc)... might be worth a try.

above all else, stick with it. If you have friends who smoke... don-t hang out with them, or ask that they don-t smoke around you. It-s important that they don-t help you backslide. in fact, it-s best if you can get a good support group of people around you.

On that note: if you-re quitting for a specific reason.. rather then just -I should- maybe you should make a list of all the reason why you ARE quitting, and how you-ll benefit.

If your house or car smells of smoke, fix it. open all your doors and windows, let the thing air out... go buy some carpet deoderizer and vacuum... get some air freshener... anything to get the smoky smell out. :)

And, as I said, stick with it. stick to your guns and don-t give an inch.
I would suggest taking up weight lifting,running,tennis, or something active to replace the cigarettes. Join a gym and go everyday, don-t skip even one day. When your body and lungs get fresh air and circulation it will make it difficult to go back to smoking. You-ll be too used to breathing good. Try keeping your mouth busy with gum first of all. Spend that money you would-ve spent on cigarettes on expensive water like Voss, Evian or Fuji. You-ll feel good, trust me. Then think about how gross you must smell and psych yourself out to actually hate that smell. Tell yourself how nasty those people are who smoke. Be a snob, you-re too good for smoking, don-t let yourself be a slave to a pack of cigarettes, you-re in control not the cigarette. Surround yourself with people who don-t smoke and are positive influences. And be hard on yourself if you mess up. Make yourself run an extra mile as punishment. Read health nut articles and books, get yourself in a -healthy person- state of mind and forget about the old you that used to smoke. Look at the habit as trashy and embarrassing, like you wouldn-t be caught dead smelling that bad or making that sucking face. I did all of this and stopped cold turkey Jan 1st of this year. You can do it.
I quit cold turkey almost 5 years ago. I found out my 9 year old had 3 valve defects...THAT was a reason to quit and I focused all my energy towards him. It was a big awakening. I do not wish for you to go through that, however, we all know smoking is bad for us, must we go through a childs sickness to wakeup?
Exercise walk try staying away from smokers and eat plenty of fruit. it worked for me. and you have-t to be ready to quit not just think about it. i threw a pack away and never smoked again. be strong
Its very simple. I know its hard, but you have to just take that pack that you have right now, and throw it in the garbage. Then, you say to yourself, i can do this, i am not smoking anymore, ive done it myself, and it takes will power, but you can do it,
I went on vacation and smoke casually. It helps when you have no money and you don-t smoke very much, maybe scale it down gardually.
Start by cutting down , put them in another room and not think about it that much, when you get a craving for one you have to go into another room and look for them. I have quit this way for over 2 months now. I started going with 2 and hour and then putting them in another room to where when I wanted one I would have to go and find where I put them. I finally got tired of stopping what I was doing to go get one and then I forgot about them. GOOD LUCK IT WILL BE HARD AT FIRST, BUT THEN IT WILL GET BETTER. Good Luck and God Bless You.
Just leave them alone and dont ever start back up. A pearson can do anything they want as long as they apply theirself at it. C
don-t buy that backup pack.
when you get to your last cig, resign yourself to that fact.
valium helps.
Rule # 1 - make the decision that you ARE going to stop smoking. Don-t think of TRYING to quit - do it, there is no try (as Yoda said).

It-s a lifestyle change, be prepared for that. Change your lifestyle in the short term to avoid the times when normally smoke (e.g. after meals). Do something with the money you save. Get fit again.

In the end, you must decide to quit - make the decision that it IS going to happen....and mean it !

Good luck.

BUT - remember you might fail 100 times....you only have to succeed once. Don-t get discouraged.

P.S. I quit a 20 a day Marlboro habit on September 9th 1990.
Get a straw (this is going to sound crazy) and when you crave a smoke, sit outside or where you usally smoke and pretend you are smoking the straw. cravings only last a few minutes so hopefully this helps, after a few days you will realise that you dont need to smoke anymore, and wont even need the straw.
Well, cold turkey means just stopping.

So just stop.

I suck at quitting smoking. But I had a thought the other day, that if you buy cigarettes you don-t like that much, everytime you have one, it won-t be that desirable. Something to ponder.
You start by stopping. There-s no secret formula despite what people tell you. You just have to want to do it. I quit a week ago and I just get angry at myself and realize how weak I am if I even think about smoking again. Workin out so far. gl
forget that outdated and horrible way. talk to your doctor about Chantix.
-Cold turkey- means you simply toss the cigarettes and never have another... the toughest way to do it since the cravings an withdrawals are intense. I think you-re looking for a good method to wean yourself from your nicotine addiction. I wish you luck... I haven-t been able to quit.
I want to quit smoking cold turkey...how should i start? -