What has helped YOU quit smoking? -

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What has helped YOU quit smoking? -


I keep trying to quit, but it doesn-t last long. What has helped you?
I used Wellbutrin and bubbles. The Wellbutrin (aka Zyban), being an antidepressant, made me feel better overall, but at night I noticed my heart racing, so I stopped taking it as soon as I felt it was -safe-. I recently read that lots of people are having great results with Chantix (Champix in Canada).

Also, when I needed to do something with my hands, I would blow bubbles. I held the bubble wand between my fingers like a cigarette, took a deep breath, held it a second (just like when smoking), then blew out slowly and watched the bubbles. My cat loved it, and after a few of those -fake drags- I-d feel good and lightheaded and wouldn-t want a cigarette anymore. :)

I quit in March of 2003 and haven-t had a single cigarette since then; however, I often have dreams where I smoke one cig, then suddenly realize I-m up to 2+ packs a day again (at my worst, I was smoking between 2 and 3 packs a day). Then I wake up and feel guilty. Even now, it-s hard to believe I haven-t cheated, but it-s true - I haven-t!

Good luck!
1. Make the decision to really quit smoking.
2. Quit cold-turkey.
3. Realize that everything else is an excuse to keep lighting up.
4. Understand that sofar you have never actually quit,
because quitting implies finality.
5. To achieve this goal, carry a couple of apples on you.
Then, each time you have a nicotine craving, take a bite
out of the apple. It is impossible to chew on the apple
and smoke a cigarette at the same time.
6. When you are not eating an apple, keep a pen or pencil
between the fingers with which you normally hold your
cigarettes.
7. Convince yourself that it is ludicrous to allow a burning pile
of tobacco leaves to take control of your brain.
8. Know that using the -patch- is just an excuse to keep
smoking at a reduced pace.
My Mom quit smoking about 24 years ago. She smoked over a pack a day. She got a real bad scare from the dentist who told her she needed to stop smoking. She used sunflower seeds to quit. Every time she wanted to smoke she would eat them. She ate them QUITE often. My Dad recently got diagnosed with bladder cancer and was told by his doctor that smoking does contribute to bladder cancer. He now has quit, but after 53 years of smoking it is really really hard. The sad fact is that most people are so addicted that they have a hard time quitting unless a doctor scares them into quitting. My husband smokes about 1 1/2 packs per day and I wonder if he will ever quit. He is 37 years old and coughs all the time and does not breathe well. He needs to quit too. I hope that you will realize that if you don-t quit smoking you quite possibly could end up with cancer yourself. I am really sorry to say that. I don-t wish that on anyone. Please quit now and you can start treating your body the way God wants you to, like the Temple. I also have a friend who quit smoking. She didn-t have any medical scares, she just really wanted to quit. Her method seems like it would work. She said she smoked a pack per day. Each day she would smoke only one less. Gradually, she got down to -0- cigarettes. She said she didn-t have any major withdrawals because she kind of weaned herself off of it. I wish you the best of luck in quitting. One thing also that you could try is asking God to take away your cravings. God does answer prayers. God Bless You.

~Kristen M~ That is so awesome! Good for you! That is a neat idea. I will have to pass that along to others!

~Timo~ You are not a freak. I-m sorry that this happened to you. Have you tried taking some speach therapy to help you? It would be worth a try. You mentioned people worse off than you still smoking. There was this one person that had a hole in their throat and had to talk with a little machine. This person would stick the cigarette up to the hole to still smoke. That is so sad.
I had half of my tounge removed from cancer i smoked since i was twelve now I am a freak I cant taste anything and I dont want to tell people why I talk funny,Lucky that stopped me I seen people worse than me still smoking...crazy.
Chantix. If that doesn-t work, try the Commit lozenges -- they-re just a safer way of getting nicotine (no cancer risk) and you can cut down on them gradually if you want.
i have a goal of something expensive i want to buy and each day i do not smoke i put my money i saved on cigs towards what i want to buy. it really adds up quick
stronger cigarettes helped me a lot
What has helped YOU quit smoking? -