How long after you quit smoking does it take for the colds and cough to go awaygt;? -

Saturday, July 18, 2009

How long after you quit smoking does it take for the colds and cough to go awaygt;? -


I quit 9 days ago and my hacking cough is still here, i sound like a 70 year old woman cuz my voice is all jacked up and croaky...I feel like I have sinus problems now too.... and my lungs hurt!! WHen does it all end-????
It-s withdrawl, wait for the nicotine to pass through. What I-d reccomend (helped my mom) is get a hobby. For her, it was puzzels. Got her mind off the symptoms. That or go to a support group, my mom got sick, and dizzy from quitting, although she got through it. If I remember correctly it took a month for all the symptoms to really die down. Although they peeked at the 2nd week.
congratulations! You are inspiring me to keep trying!


Report Abuse



hmm well i used to smoke and i never recovered i geuss that really is the companys goals to ruin people live like i ruined mine
It will get worse before it gets better, because your body is trying to get rid of the irritants that have been in your lungs the whole time you were smoking. It should go away completely within 3 months, but it may take several weeks to see improvement. If it doesn-t, see a doctor.
first off, kudos to you on quitting smoking.

so, in general and in simple terms, here is a way to breakdown how your body will improve after you quit smoking.

within 20 minutes of your last cigarette:
blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal (depending on exercise tolerance)
body temperature of hands and feet increase to normal

within 8 hours:
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
oxygen level in blood increases toward normal

within 24 hours:
chance of a heart attack begins to decrease

within 48 hours:
nerve endings begin to regrow
sense of smell and taste begin to improve

within 72 hours:
lung capacity begins to increase
bronchial tubes begin to relax
both of which allow you to breathe easier

within 2 weeks to 3 months:
circulation improves
lung function increases up to 30%
walking/exercise becomes easier

within 1 to 9 months:
energy level increases
cough and sinus congestion decreases
fatigue and shortness of breath decrease

after 5 years:
lung cancer death rate decreases

after 10 years:
lung cancer death rate is almost equivalent to the rate of a non-smoker

hope this helps, and good luck to you
Congratulations on quitting!! You have to expel it all from your lungs. it can take up to 2 months for you to clear it all up, but it also depends on how long you smoked..
Good luck and keep at it!!
It will get worse before it gets better.I have been 5 months and my lungs are finally feeling better than they have in a long time.I can work out longer and harder and I have put on 10 lbs of muscle.I have also put on 10 lbs of bellyfat.But you know what,I feel much better being 5-6- tall and weighing 175lbs than I did smoking and being 155lbs.Your lungs are cleaning themselves out and that is why you are experiencing these things.Suck it up and deal with it and you will be happy with the result.By the way congrats on quitting.I smoked for 22 years.
Be patient, be very very patient. I quit 8 months and 11 days ago. I still get the irritating morning cough every other day and sometimes accompanied by a lot of mucous. I smoked for 22 years, so I figured I won-t be coughing all of that crap up in a real short amount of time. Good luck and congrats on kickin- the habit!!!!!!
it really depends on the person is healthy and all that stuff
How long after you quit smoking does it take for the colds and cough to go awaygt;? -